• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tip Request: Installing a Rampage Speedy Trac Soft Top

atacar

Loc.
Pittsburgh
Hi All,

I just ordered a Rampage Speedy Trac Soft Top. Looking at both the threads on here and the comments on the WH website, it's clear that the instructions suck...

...with that, do you all have any suggestions / lessons-learned on how to best install this?

I'm just trying to avoid any pitfalls. Thanks!!!

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Do it when it is warm outside so the material 'stretches' a bit and is easier to work with. Living in Pittsburgh area, unless you have a heated garage, you may want to wait a while to try it.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Don't drill holes in your B-pillars for the door frame posts. You can easily fab up some ~3" extension brackets that bolt to the first hole in the side rails where the hard top bolts to and drill a hole in the other bracket end. Then trim ~1/4" off of the door frame posts so the they go through the bracket holes and sit on top of the B-pillars instead of penetrating them. I can post pictures later.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Don't drill holes in your B-pillars for the door frame posts. You can easily fab up some ~3" extension brackets that bolt to the first hole in the side rails where the hard top bolts to and drill a hole in the other bracket end. Then trim ~1/4" off of the door frame posts so the they go through the bracket holes and sit on top of the B-pillars instead of penetrating them. I can post pictures later.

Both great suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Don't drill holes in your B-pillars for the door frame posts. You can easily fab up some ~3" extension brackets... I can post pictures later.

Okay, here are some pics:

Attachments

• Rampage Bed Rail Mod3.jpg
    Rampage Bed Rail Mod3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Rampage Bedrail Mod1.jpg
    Rampage Bedrail Mod1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Rampage Bed Rail Mod2.jpg
    Rampage Bed Rail Mod2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 104

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I also made a bracket for my sun visors... idea/design "stolen with pride" from another member here some years ago. They are tied together with rubber fuel line hose. Check it out.

Attachments

• Visor Bracket1.gif
    Visor Bracket1.gif
    241 KB · Views: 98
  • Visor Bracket2.gif
    Visor Bracket2.gif
    241.8 KB · Views: 75

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I have the Rampage and like it. I did the door post metal tab. after recently painting my truck I put the top back on. This time I used nutzerts in the body so I could put the track down without getting to the nut underneath. I’m running panels so it would be a pain to get to. Not that I pull the tracks off ever but I may be getting a new top soon. Another issue I have always had, when I zip the back window on both sides it’s to tight. Not running a hard top all these years I’m sure the body has spread a bit so I’m thinking of removing the track and slotting the holes a bit to allow for adjustment to bring each side in a bit

OP
OP
atacar

atacar

Loc.
Pittsburgh
I have the Rampage and like it. I did the door post metal tab. after recently painting my truck I put the top back on. This time I used nutzerts in the body so I could put the track down without getting to the nut underneath. I’m running panels so it would be a pain to get to. Not that I pull the tracks off ever but I may be getting a new top soon. Another issue I have always had, when I zip the back window on both sides it’s to tight. Not running a hard top all these years I’m sure the body has spread a bit so I’m thinking of removing the track and slotting the holes a bit to allow for adjustment to bring each side in a bit

Excellent nutzerts idea. I have panels as well and was annoyed about the future pain that they will generate. I'll give this idea a try as well.

Bronco4x4

I have a Kayline which is the predecessor to Rampage. One thing that helps is to label the door frame bars LH and RH. It speeds things up when putting the top up.

OP
OP
atacar

atacar

Loc.
Pittsburgh

chris-nc

Contributor
Bronco Apprentice
I'm curious if you ended up using any sort of seal on the bed rails like you mentioned above or ever received any additional feedback from folks. I'm installing mine this weekend, and was considering a similar (but wider) foam seal like what is on the windshield header.

Thanks

bpugh88

I just installed mine and used coated the underside on the tracks that go on the top of the rails with electrical tape. I don’t think you would want something as thick as the top gasket underneath it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: