• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tips on moving rear axle back half to three quarters inch

bmbm

My 66 Bronco will be getting new stock height or up to 1.5" leaf springs (max) installed for future tire size increase from 30' to 31" tires. I currently have some old stock leafs and a 1'' block along with some picnpull F150 coils . Any advice welcome and if a tech article or something similar exists please provide a link. Looking for the easiest method and even half an inch would be good enough for me. I have seen mention of just drilling the axle pad and the u-bolt plate away from the stock hole to accomplish this. Would like to avoid any further modifications unless absolutely needed and understand that lengthening the rear drive shaft may be required. I drive it about 60% on road and 40% on dirt roads but not any heavy duty off road use. I want to start using the Bronco as my daily driver again so getting new springs and shocks package. Probably many Bronco owners are planning this or are in the process of so let me know your strategery please. Thank you.

MonsterBIlly

I have done this exact thing. Its no biggie. I jist dropped the axle, redrilled and bolted back up. Super easy, i did not need to extend drive shaft. There is plenty of bite.
I moved mine back 1 full inch. The only minor problem was at full tuck my tires would catch the sheet metal under the rear fender. After new bump stops were installed I no longer had an issue.

OP
OP
B

bmbm

I have done this exact thing. Its no biggie. I jist dropped the axle, redrilled and bolted back up. Super easy, i did not need to extend drive shaft. There is plenty of bite.
I moved mine back 1 full inch. The only minor problem was at full tuck my tires would catch the sheet metal under the rear fender. After new bump stops were installed I no longer had an issue.
Thank you. Good to have this confirmed information. With 37" tires I expect you would need lots of room!

OP
OP
B

bmbm

If getting new springs built, see if they can just build them with the pin offset.
That is a good suggestion but as a budgetary move I was just going to get the whole spring/shock package from one of the vendors instead of custom made. Custom made probably out of my price range. Thank you.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is a good suggestion but as a budgetary move I was just going to get the whole spring/shock package from one of the vendors instead of custom made. Custom made probably out of my price range. Thank you.
Won't know until you check.

eb-nutt1

With 30-31" tires(probably 29.5") in real life, why are you wanting to relocate the rear axle? My dad ran 31's on his 69 luber for years on a stock height WH suspension kit,ran logging roads hunting, never any issues...I'm currently rebuilding the rig with a 2.5" suspension/1" body and moved the axle back 1" to clear the front fender edges running 33×10.50, on the uncut fenders.

Brian

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I moved mine back 1" for 33's by drilling the u-bolt plate and axle perch. I don't think you'd need to move it with smaller tires. The 33's just barely grabbed the front of the rear openings prior to moving back 1".

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yup, thanks Lars!

Most every link or part # I've typed today isn't working... like my brain today- bad cold as of this am.

If you need to rotate the rear yoke for pinion angle they have those also that allow you to move the axle to the rear

OP
OP
B

bmbm

With 30-31" tires(probably 29.5") in real life, why are you wanting to relocate the rear axle? My dad ran 31's on his 69 luber for years on a stock height WH suspension kit,ran logging roads hunting, never any issues...I'm currently rebuilding the rig with a 2.5" suspension/1" body and moved the axle back 1" to clear the front fender edges running 33×10.50, on the uncut fenders.

Brian
Partly due to aesthetics. I have always noticed how the tire is closer to the front fender opening and if springs will be replaced it should be fairly easy to move back at that time. So personal preference to some degree. Thank you.

OP
OP
B

bmbm

I moved mine back 1" for 33's by drilling the u-bolt plate and axle perch. I don't think you'd need to move it with smaller tires. The 33's just barely grabbed the front of the rear openings prior to moving back 1".
Partly due to aesthetics. I have always noticed how the tire is closer to the front fender opening and if springs will be replaced it should be fairly easy to move back at that time. So personal preference to some degree. Thank you.