• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire pressure

MikeCon

So hard to find information on my stock ,no lift,stock tires size. Ie. Tire pressure,
Not everyone cuts and lifts and runs 33's.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
I like to use childrens sidewalk caulk. Rub an inch wide stripe across the tread, drive in a straight line a few feet till it rubs the caulk. If center of tread rubs clear first, lower pressure. If edges rub first, increase pressure. Couple pounds at a time. You are trying to get the caulk to rub evenly across the tread surface. This works for different size tires, ply ratings, or weight distribution. Front to rear may vary several pounds. With my 37 by 14.50s I ended up at 24 front and 15 rear. Your results will vary from others, depending on ply rating, tire size, rim width, and load distribution. Good luck.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
stock, somewhere in the low 30s.

About 20 years ago a lot of auto makers were running really low tire pressures for a nice comfy ride. Ford got into issues with the Explorer (there were many others, but the Explorer and Firestones got all the press). They were specing tire pressure of something like 26PSI. That overworked the tires, caused tread separation. The tire pressures quietly went up to about 35 on the exact same models. Tire cupping and the excessive tire rotation schedules went away and fuel economy improved as well.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
After many years of running 31" tires. I've found 35 for the fronts and 32 in the rears seems to wear the tires nearly evenly. The fronts still wear more on the outside. This is partially do to the positive camber Ford specified. More pressure wears the center of the rear tread, but gives me more MPGs. Since the front wears unevenly regardless, more pressure gives the most even wear and handles better. So it kind of depends on what your goals are. It also depends on the surface you drive on. Soft dry sand seems to need aired down tires.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, tire pressure is really a Bronco to Bronco thing. As you see many guys run different pressure. For instance if you have a hardtop and load it up with extra gas, camping supplies, and friends you would run a higher tire pressure. If you have a topless Bronco, run lite with nothing in the back you would run lower pressure. As mentioned, off road and in deep snow it is time to air down. My 31-10.5 BFG's do fine at 28 PSI. Good luck

OP
OP
MikeCon

MikeCon

Been from 35psi to 28 trying to improve wandering. Gonna try 26 all around today.going to Gainesville today and will get a good feel for it. About 150 miles round trip.
31's on stock wheels..have a 23 gallon fuel tank which is why I'm trying equal pressure.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Put your hand on the side wall of the tire after a good run on them right after you stop if its too hot to hold your hand on it your tire pressure is too low. low tire pressure works out the side wall of the tire as it rotates top to bottom of the tire the more it flexes the hotter it gets. old bias ply tires like trailer tires were not designed to handle this flexing. radials were designed to handle much more fled with out heating up. but and over dose of flexing will heat them up too more flex more fatigue until something gives up and your stopped on the side of the road usually without cell service.