• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire/rim/lift recommendations for uncut stocker

OldBlue76

I have some stock aluminum rims off a 91 I want to put on stock 76. 7x15. Current steel rims are 6x15. Seeking recommendations for tires and potential body and or suspension lift. Looking for mild lift if any. No mods to stock sheetmetal so can go back if want to. Thank you.

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Commenting just to follow along, I have just installed a 3.5 in my uncut stocker. I have spent the last few days reading posts on pizza cutters, tall skinny's, you name it, and searching on line for what is available. Seems they are a dying breed, especially for 15" wheels. Definitely more options in a 16, but I like the look of 15's better.

Very little to choose from in a 9 or 9.5, couple of swampers, n78 buckshot (looks great, but a little much for a street truck). Seems even the bfg's are not made anymore.

I really want a 31 or 32 x 9 or 9.5. Would love to hear suggestions as to whats available as well.

In terms or your lift question, you have so many options, new body mounts with integrated 1" body lift, or if everything under there is original, a one or 2 inch suspension lift can really improve the ride. I used the flexy front coils from JBG (deaver coils) and love the way the truck rides. All the suppliers have a similar option.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A 10.5 inch wide tire, or even an 11.5 inch wide tire will fit a 7 inch wide wheel easily.
Of course it’s the fenders that we’re worried about here, so the wheel offset/backspacing is the most critical feature at the moment.

Being stock wheels they would have a fairly reasonable backspacing for a bronco. I don’t know for a fact that a 31x10.50 would fit an uncut and stock height, but I know a few members over the years have used similar wheels so maybe they will chime in with their results.

In the meantime, which style of wheel was that?

OP
OP
OldBlue76

OldBlue76

A 10.5 inch wide tire, or even an 11.5 inch wide tire will fit a 7 inch wide wheel easily.
Of course it’s the fenders that we’re worried about here, so the wheel offset/backspacing is the most critical feature at the moment.

Being stock wheels they would have a fairly reasonable backspacing for a bronco. I don’t know for a fact that a 31x10.50 would fit an uncut and stock height, but I know a few members over the years have used similar wheels so maybe they will chime in with their results.

Not sure what you call them. Alloy with about 1.5" holes around. Rivet ring outside of hole ring. Pretty conventional for the year 91.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I know which ones you mean. Yes, very common. A few have used them on their Early Broncos with good results. Just can't remember what size tires and the specs on the Broncos.

paul

67King

I've been trying to find the largest I can fit in mine for a few weeks, and it seems I keep hitting on this tire size. I'm guessing an 8" wheel, and 4" backspacing......GUESSING being the key word. Any idea for sure?

I have a 66 U13 that has been in the family since new. Have been hoping to get around to it, but I'm in the middle fo a full frame off Pro Touring build of my 67 GTO. Kind of a good news/bad news situation in that I'm losing the place where I keep the Bronco in a few weeks. Considering making it semi-road worthy in very short order, and the tires on it are all shot. I thin the rears may actually be the original ones, as the truck was a farm truck, very very low mileage, but rough shape, nonetheless. I may keep it on a piece of property we just bought and use it to launch our boat (there is a launch on teh lot) until we finish building the house there. I could certainly run some larger tires that may fit with a mild lift, so long as they dont' rub under very easy conditions until I get around to it. So something like a 265/70R16 may fit. WOuld 265/75's be pushing too much? Wish I could find more options for white 16" wagon wheels (truck is I believe Carribean Turquoise).

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m sure people have made 265s fit, but I wouldn’t push it that far initially. 255 or 245 seems more along those lines.
But are you going to use the original stock wheels? Or pick up wheels at the same time?

SeaVee

Contributor
Following. Putting a 77 back together with a Duff 2.5 inch lift. Uncut. Want to use my original steelies ( with the stock hubcaps). I want 31x10.50’s, but will go with 9.5’s if I have to. Think I can get by with 31x10.50’s?
TIA

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. It's a beyond optimal match, but many have done it with no ill effects. For years that was the main choice. New tires needed, or wanted, but buying new wheels was just way out of the budget.
Personally I like the 9.50 for the 5.5" and even the 6" wide wheels, but prefer the look of the 10.50 on the Broncos.

Just don't expect a big chain tire store to do the mounting and balancing. If it's not in the book as the tire manufacturer's recommended wheel size range, they just won't do it.
Leaves a lot of us out in the cold for the big tire stores. But the mom-n-pops deserve our business too.

Paul

67King

I’m sure people have made 265s fit, but I wouldn’t push it that far initially. 255 or 245 seems more along those lines.
But are you going to use the original stock wheels? Or pick up wheels at the same time?

16" white wagon wheel style wheels is what I want. I'm assuming they should be 7" wide, rather than 8" based on the section width you'd recommend? Thanks for the feedback, BTW!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, a 7 would probably be more forgiving. But an 8 will still fit with, as you pointed out, the correct backspacing and not too wide of a tire.

I have a friend with 8 inch wheels with 3.75” backspace and 31 x 10 1/2 tires with approximately 3 1/2 inches of lift and it rubs on the back.
With the same lift and tires but on 7 inch wheels with 4 inch backspace, mine never rubs.