• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rim width and tire size

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
I want to run a set of 235/75/15 tires but my rims are 15x8"...... will I be ok on 8" rims or are they just too wide? I already have both rims and tires but not mounted yet.

Thanks for advice!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My '77 came from the factory with 235-75X15s on 5 1/2 rims that worked and looked great. I think the same tires on 8" rims would wear the sides of the tread, unless the tires were over inflated to ride like rocks.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Actually the charts say 6-8.5" wide rim is advised for 235/75 tire. Should be good.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A 235 tire on an 8" wide wheel is actually very common on passenger car tires, so it should be fine. I know the 245/40R18 front tire on my Nova is mounted to an 8.5" wide wheel, and the sidewalls are vertical...and I'll refrain from pointing out that my street car has wider front tires than your EB :D

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
An 8 inch wheel is almost too wide for that size. it's 9.3 inches wide. That's less than 3/4" over on each side. it actually may look a little funny. Rule of thumb is up to 2 inches per side wider than the wheel is OK. Many people run a 12.50" wide tire on 8 inch wheels. (The old 8" vs. 10" wide wheel debate!!)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
what ya waiting for take one rim and mount it up if you like it do the other or reverse what you did. If you have a high lift jack to bust a bead then you can mount them yourself if you have an air compressor. a valuable skill to learn if you play offroad.