• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire Size Help

freeride376

Loc.
North Ogden
I have 4:10 gears in my bronco right now. I am looking at getting new tires. I would like to get 37" or 38" tires. Can I go this big with my gear ratio? What does everyone recommend? How big can you go with 4:10 gears?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What else do you have? Stock early I-6 engine? Firebreathing 460? Manual trans, or automatic? Overdrive or not? Stock transfer case?
What are you looking to do with it? Hardcore trail riding or daily-driver street cruiser? Or a little of both perhaps?

In my opinion, for all around use, the 37 or 38 option is a bit steep for a 4.10, so figure on changing it out eventually. Plenty of people run them and are fairly happy (I think?), but more often than not, you're going to be wondering where all of your power went unless you go to a 4.88 or steeper gear set.

So, in other words, a change is not required, but you're pushing the limits of the fun-while-driving factor, unless you're running a completely different combo than most Broncos came with.

Paul

OP
OP
freeride376

freeride376

Loc.
North Ogden
Everyone thank you for the info. Low pressure that link was just what i needed. Thanks. And Dirtdonk I have a 302. Auto Trans And I'm looking at more off road than daily driver.