• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tired of my Howell setup, but...found 5.8

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Needless to say.... I am tired of my Howell setup on my 351W. Found a 5.8 in the bone yard w/ efi, what do I need off of it, besides the intake and throttle body? Does anyone make a harness for the conversion? Haven't doen much w/ efi, so I am learning here...

jmart

Loc.
sacramento
if i may ask why are you tired of your howell setup? I am in the process of doing a junkyard tbi build on a winsor right now.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Here is a brief description of my on going problem...

Our club delivers Christmas baskets to needy families around here. After spending the better part of the day, yesterday, delivering baskets and having the Bronco die at every stop and having an erradic idle, I am finally tired of the Howell setup I had have on my EB for a years. It never ran good, even when first installed, I spoke numerous times w/ Howell, they are good to talk to and were as helpful as they could be, but my problem never went away. My check engine light comes on showing that the setup never enters the closed loop when running. I changed every sensory and checked, re-checked everything. So, I am looking for other options for the EFI setup.... All info is appreciated. BTW, there is no one around here that is and "expert" on EFI, so I am left to my own skills... What else is out there that is dependable? fairly easy to buy?

Oatmeal

if i may ask why are you tired of your howell setup? I am in the process of doing a junkyard tbi build on a winsor right now.
I'm going that route myself, real interested in your progress. I have everything but the harness. Are you doing your own modified GM harness, or purchasing a ready made unit? What about the prom? (the chip, not the high school dance:eek:) Sorry for the hijack----------Hans

jmart

Loc.
sacramento
Cracker, are you running headders and if yes are you running a heated o2 sensor. also is your system controlling your timing. And for Oatmeal i am doing everything myself.The only thing i will purchase is a intake adapter,fuel pump,and a o2 sensor. I have found almost everything you need to know about converting gm tbi on binder planet.com. wonderful info on efi.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
Needless to say.... I am tired of my Howell setup on my 351W. Found a 5.8 in the bone yard w/ efi, what do I need off of it, besides the intake and throttle body? Does anyone make a harness for the conversion? Haven't doen much w/ efi, so I am learning here...

you can use a harness from a 89-93 mustang, and get one of the better EEC computers like the A9L, A9M, A9S. i have found the A9l is very programable so it would be great for a 351. the harnesses are the same for 302 and 351. so pretty much the only thing diff on the 351 than the 302 is the intakes, and those you have.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Cracker, are you running headders and if yes are you running a heated o2 sensor. also is your system controlling your timing. And for Oatmeal i am doing everything myself.The only thing i will purchase is a intake adapter,fuel pump,and a o2 sensor. I have found almost everything you need to know about converting gm tbi on binder planet.com. wonderful info on efi.

No headers and the system is a stand alone. Does not control the timing. I use a duraspark ign. sytem still.

Oatmeal

.........Oatmeal i am doing everything myself.The only thing i will purchase is a intake adapter,fuel pump,and a o2 sensor. I have found almost everything you need to know about converting gm tbi on binder planet.com. wonderful info on efi.
Awsome info! Thanks!----------Hans

asmith140

Contributor
howell

Cracker
I'm running the same basic setup as you except have shorty headers with ox-bungs.I only use 1 ox-senor in the rh manifold. Did Howell try a different chip? I have one you can try. I'm betting your problem is with the coolant temp sensor; in the intake manifold? or in the t-stat housing? That is the #1 thing that forces the system into close loop. I've had my system on for about 6-7 yrs. the system is not perfect but close enough for Moab work.
Art

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
You can find some smokin deals at corral on fi stuff, if the dist. Has the module on it try to get it also. Imo a wideband is a must have when mixing & matching efi stuff. My setup is pretty wild but with my moates q/h it runs pearfict.

Oatmeal

Have you tried to talk to the tech's at Holley, their Pro-Jection unit is simular to the Howell TBI (is it not).
Don't waste your time with those guys, when I was trying to get my 2DI Pro-Jection system to work right, they were no help what so ever......hell, I knew more about the thing than they did%). Piece of crap, by the way. Oh, it is completely different from the GM TBI system which has an IAC (idle air control) motor---------Hans