• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tires for Daily Driver

DownhillManiac99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orange County CA
taxx said:
BFG muds are pretty quite, especially if you run without a top, you won't hear them over the wind noise. But I have to say my favority daily driver street tire for a truck is the BFG AT. Lasts a while, rides nice, traction in all weather, looks good, and is extremely quite.

If you were worried about noise you wouldn't be daily driving an EB. ;D

Well I knew that they would be noisy, but no tire should be as noisy as mine were. The AT's make relatively no noise at all compared to the Muds. AT's all the way for the daily driver Bronco. :cool:

68ford

Bronco Guru
i have muds and they are quite,over dual flowmasters ;D but they are great, but my old at's were much better in corners with the brakes on and in the rain. there have been test that actually showed the at to be better for EVERYTHING but mud and real slushy snow. my buddy ran 33x9.50s without a lift, looked great uncut and worked awsome, just took minor triming. i think muds look better, but unless your into mud, at's are the best.

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
DownhillManiac99 said:
Well I knew that they would be noisy, but no tire should be as noisy as mine were. The AT's make relatively no noise at all compared to the Muds. AT's all the way for the daily driver Bronco. :cool:

i have to second the noise issue. ive got muds and they are fantastic going through 12 inches of snow on an unplowed road. but terrible on 1/2 inch of slippery. and the noise is too much for any extended highway driving. if you keep it under 40, not a big deal, but at 75 for a couple hours, it gets old really quickly.

vap13

I don't seem to have very good luck with the Goodyear tires. they always have uneven tire wear, even on my new vehicles I buy. I thought it was the Ford front ends but if I switch to a Michelin they run perfect. I would stick with an LT tire
Paul

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Flame suit is on, but I have been very pleased with my Pirelli Scorpion ATs. Although, I would have liked a bit more traction on steep hills last time I was off-road-consider the tires have 4yrs of driving on them, but the tread still looks good. The tires are quiet at highway speeds, corner well and have lasted much longer than the Bridgestone Dueler AT and the Wrangler ATs I owned in the past. The Wranglers were the worst. The Duelers didnt wear even at all and I got the truck alligned and tires balanced much more often than I have with the current Pirellis. The Pirellis were only like $80-85/apiece for 31X10.50s-15s through discount tire--several years ago, but $20-30 cheaper than most fot he other tires I looked at at the time...tread pattern and compound seemed comparable.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I had both the BFG AT KO and am currently running the Good Year Wrangler ATS. 33x15x12.5.

I prefer the GoodYears for drivability. It has the "aqua tread" for wet roads (very important here in the rainy NW). They stop better too. I believe the durometer of the rubber to be somewhat softer. They are 2ply sidewall and ride better then the stiffer BFGs on the road and off road.

IMO:

Goodyears make less noise :)

Goodyears handle better :)

Goodyears shed water better :)

Goodyears ride better :)

Goodyears stop better :eek:

BFGs grab rough surfaces better ;D

BFGs Shed snow and mudd much better ;D

The BFG KO were great for all around usage where u spend a great deal of time off road. But I spend 90% of my time on the road as it is a daily driver. It really depends on what u want to do with your Bronc'. ;)

hth,

Mick

:cool:

Brewbro21

Go BFG they are some of the best tires made. Either way mud or ATs you won't be disappointed. They look real good too.

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Another vote for the Mitchlin LTX AT's. Bought 31 X10.50 in 1995, well over 60K and still have another year on them at least. Thats with lots of smokey burnouts and doughnuts. We'd burn holes in the assfault of my apt complex at Chico St. most every weekend. I love the smell of burnt rubber and that v-8 rumble at two am. ;D
I had BFG MT's on the bronco when I bought it and they wore out real quick on the street and floated a lot on wet roads. I had BFG AT's on a Blazer and they were ok, but the Mitchlins are a much better tire on the road, espically when it's wet and well worth the extra price for a DD. I'm putting another set of Mitchlin 32X11.50's when mine finaly wear out. You won't be dissapointed with these things.
We have some Goodyear AT's on our full size Dodges here at work and we have almost wore out a brand new set in less than a year, only about 25K miles.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
on my stock format daily driver i run the bfg long trail in a 31 x9.50. they have worn well, work well in weather and do alright in the rare dirt it might ever see (pulling into the christmas tree lot...)
hth
nick

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
Here are the top 10 Truck & SUV tires rated by Consumer Reports.

1 Goodyear Fortera HL Edition
2 Pirelli Scorpion STR A
3 Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
4 Kelly Safari Signature
5 Dayton Timberline HT
6 Hankook DynaPro AT RF08
7 Dunlop Radial Rover AT
8 General AmeriTrac SUV (Sears)
9 Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country
10 Toyo Open Country M410

yak67

Bronco Guru
I vote for the Toyo Open Country a/t, put them on my wife's Explorer, and they ride great and are quiet. They have done great in the snow and ice, even though we haven't seen much this year.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
yak67 said:
I vote for the Toyo Open Country a/t, put them on my wife's Explorer, and they ride great and are quiet. They have done great in the snow and ice, even though we haven't seen much this year.
Snow and Ice? In this part of the country? All I've seen so far this year is a little ice. All I did with my trailer is drain the water tank so it probably is a good thing.

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
I'd 2nd the Toyo Open Country's. I've got them on my Suburban (285 60 18's) and they ride great! However I have studded snow tires & rims for winter. :cool:

yak67

Bronco Guru
SaddleUp said:
Snow and Ice? In this part of the country? All I've seen so far this year is a little ice. All I did with my trailer is drain the water tank so it probably is a good thing.
Central Wa, we get our share.....we had a week or so of snow, but have had quite a bit of freezing fog....but man I'm about ready to take the top off, supposed to be near 60 today ;D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
yak67 said:
Central Wa, we get our share.....we had a week or so of snow, but have had quite a bit of freezing fog....but man I'm about ready to take the top off, supposed to be near 60 today ;D
I hear ya. I think we just skipped winter this year. Who knows though. I've seen snow clear into May so perhaps it is just a slow start this year.

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
Well I have been researching this as well.
I run the BFG AT KO's in 33x12.5x16.5 on my 250 and I love them.
I have been told that the Bridgestone DD Revo is a GREAT tire and I have also heard good things about these,
www.high-tec-retreading.com
For the price (looks like $255-265 including shipping for four 235's with Green Diamonds shipped to WV!) they are worth a try in my opinion.
Don't be afraid to contact them with questions, they were very helpful with me.
I know a few guys that are running the Truxxus Mud Terrains on DD's and are very happy with them as well.
So there are at least a few good options out there.
Good luck Will.
Chris in WV