• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tom's 3.5 " lift

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Just purchased this lift kit and wondered if there were any articles/threads to help with installation. I haven't had the best luck searching for articles on this forum.

Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Stache. Yes and no.
For searching (most of us have the same trouble by the way) we've found it's better to literally Google it using the search criteria you want, then adding "classicbroncos.com" in either quotes, or brackets or whatever. I use quotes and have pretty good luck with what comes up.

As for articles, there really are very few that would be considered a definitive lift kit install thread. They all go off on tangents and get easily sidetrac.... SQUIRREL!!!!! Wait, where was I?
Oh yeah, and with each install seemingly having to deal with different previous owner mods and having to do different things with different resources to get to somewhat close to the same result, that there just aren't many concise and cohesive writeups.

Strange too, given that it's one of the most popular subjects in the EB world still!
So keep searching and reading just to get the basics, and we'll just keep adding to your thread here with questions of our own for you, and some answers as we can.

So for starters, which kit did you get? You did get the ancillaries too, such as longer brake lines and shocks and dropped pitman arm and trackbar brackets/risers etcetera, correct?
Including 7° C-bushings and new bushings for your shackles and trackbar?

And speaking of that, did you opt for an adjustable trackbar? What about an adjustable draglink?

All of those things are going to make your end results a much happier experience once you get it back on the road.
As you figured (which is why you asked in the first place) there is a lot of little stuff involved in getting it done right. Certain knowledge of what you might run into.

So as others add their recent experiences, maybe you can describe your Bronco as it sits now, so we can add what we think you might run into based on your specific rig.

Good luck!
Oh, and tall jack-stands are your friend!;)

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Actually, I see you have at least some of the basics listed already. Is that a 2" suspension lift, or body lift?

OP
OP
Real Big Stache

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Thanks!. I went with the 3.5 suspension kit with the extended radius arms, and a 1" body lift, from Tom's. I have a bare frame right now and i want to get a rolling chassis before my body is done. That gives me about a 2-3 week window to get this installed;D! I have 33" good year kevlar tires, 4.11 gears, and am installing a 5.0 from a 99 explorer. Plan on installing that before the body is done too!! Needless to say, a lot of work with no time. One weekend and a few week nights to work on it;D.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And some things to know about building a rolling chassis first.
Don't bother with attaching the trackbar or driveshafts until you are at ride height.
And in this case, ride height means either waiting for the body and engine and full weight of the truck to be back on the ground, OR compressing the suspension to the expected approximate height using ratchet straps or added weight, or some other method to bring things down.

This expected height is going to be approximately 10.5" in the front, and 9.5" in the rear, as measured between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame rail.
Until you get the suspension to that level, all figuring of angles and attaching things that run between the sprung and un-sprung sides is meaningless and difficult.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and because you have the long arms you don't (usually) need the 7 degree bushings. Typically you'd go with the 4's, and there is usually about 4 extra degrees built into the design of the arms.
This isn't universal however, so check the specs on yours if they haven't already spelled it out for you. But since your Bronco is apart you can't just run down to the local alignment shop to see what your existing caster reading was. You'll just have to wing it and hope that your caster is decent and that your u-joint isn't binding when it's all put back together.
The proof is in the driving!;)

Paul

OP
OP
Real Big Stache

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Yeah, i guess i was just hoping to get a better detailed procedure is all. I will probably start with mounting the shock hoops and work my way from there. Thanks for your help!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes and no. Need pics to be sure.
They do angle up slightly from the factory, and may even have what could be described as an odd shape. But they also can get bent up due to use and age and rust and stiffer shock valving and sometimes just luck of the draw.

Most common failure is that the threaded end breaks off.

Paul

OP
OP
Real Big Stache

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
I would post a pic if it weren't so darn hard. Already wasted half the morning trying to figure out how to post pics. I've done it before, dont know why i cant now.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks normal to me.
You'll be able to tell if they're both the same. If one is slightly different from the other, then one might have taken a hit and bent a little. But all that is otherwise is to put the mount at a more natural angle to the shock when compared to the lower mount.

Easy enough to tell by mounting a shock to see if it's lined up still.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Shock mounts are normal they look bent, but by design they are bent.

OP
OP
Real Big Stache

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Update. The install was a success except a couple of hick ups. The first being the rear shackle for the leaf springs. It was not very clear which way these are supposed to be installed but I think we have it correct. Secondly, the rear shock hoop mount. My body is off the frame so it's very hard to know how high I need to go up to achieve the 1/2 of clearance from the body. I have a 1" body lift. Lastly, The old body bushings and nuts. I lost some of them during the tear down. do i need to buy all new? Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_8321.jpg
    IMG_8321.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8353.jpg
    IMG_8353.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8345.jpg
    IMG_8345.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 63

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Everybody's mum, eh? Sorry I don't know either. Might as well either wait (best case) or measure twice, weld once. Using the expected body mount height (3/4" + whatever body lift) and hope for the best.
Personally I would not do that. Too much at stake. Hopefully someone will pop in with some measurements for you.

The first being the rear shackle for the leaf springs. It was not very clear which way these are supposed to be installed but I think we have it correct.

Stock shackles go with open end facing rearward, away from the spring.
Aftermarket shackles typically are open face forward, toward the spring.

Secondly, the rear shock hoop mount. My body is off the frame so it's very hard to know how high I need to go up to achieve the 1/2 of clearance from the body. I have a 1" body lift.

So that's 1.75" above the body mount point on the frame. If you have the body handy you can take some measurements off of that and compare to where it's going to sit when it's placed on top of those 1.75" high mounts.

Lastly, The old body bushings and nuts. I lost some of them during the tear down. do i need to buy all new?

Who's 1" body lift? Did it come with hardware? Are the cushions/insulators (the thicker ones) one inch tall, or one and three quarters of an inch tall?
If it came with hardware then there's your answer regarding nuts & bolts.
If they're 1" tall, then yes you need new stock height insulators. Rubber or polyurethane will work.
If they're 1.75" tall, then you still need to remove the remaining insulators and their retaining washers/sleeves so you have room for the new stuff.

Paul

AK-47

Loc.
Long Island
Update. The install was a success except a couple of hick ups. The first being the rear shackle for the leaf springs. It was not very clear which way these are supposed to be installed but I think we have it correct. Secondly, the rear shock hoop mount. My body is off the frame so it's very hard to know how high I need to go up to achieve the 1/2 of clearance from the body. I have a 1" body lift. Lastly, The old body bushings and nuts. I lost some of them during the tear down. do i need to buy all new? Here are some pics

Hey RBS, what size wheel/tires are you running there?

AK-47

Loc.
Long Island

Hey RBS, what size wheel/tires are you running there?