• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Toms tunnel cover for NV4500 install help!

myscott22

Loc.
Klamath Falls, OR.
I am putting an NV4500 in my EB and had to cut out the tunnel to mount new one from Toms Bronco parts. There is a body support under the floor skin that looks to me that needs to be cut out also. After I cut it out do I need to do any additional braceing? How did you mount the new cover weld in place or bolt down so it can be removed for service work?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
myscott22 said:
I am putting an NV4500 in my EB and had to cut out the tunnel to mount new one from Toms Bronco parts. There is a body support under the floor skin that looks to me that needs to be cut out also. After I cut it out do I need to do any additional braceing? How did you mount the new cover weld in place or bolt down so it can be removed for service work?

Funny, I just got done installing mine yesterday (NV4500/Atlas). The rib under the tunnel needs to be cut through. You don't need to add reinforcement. That same rib needs to be cut to install an NP435, a swap people have been doing to Broncos for over 30 years. You won't have any problems. In fact I originally cut through mine 8 years ago when I swapped in an NP435.

I made tunnel covers for both the NP435 and the NV4500 myself out of sheet metal. Absolutely make them removable. It makes the inevitable servicing much easier. The cover I made for my NV4500 was actually simpler because the NV doesn't stick up so high.

First time around I used no. 12 sheet metal screws which worked fine, but after removing the cover several times over the years some of the screws pulled out. This time I got fancy and used nutserts. More expensive and time consuming to install, but easier to r&r the cover now that the work is done.

66biker

Loc.
Grants Pass OR
yes,cut the body support,and use sheet metal screws to fasten the cover.This will allow for easier service when you need it.