• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Top 10 List "Things I have done to my Broncos that I will never do again!"

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I was replacing the leafs with a lifted set. I was working alone. Had jack stands under the frame. Wasn't high enough to get the new springs in. Only one floor jack. Tried to raise the car ons side at a time. Dropped the whole thing on the floor of the one car garage. These things sure look low to the ground when they're setting on the frame!

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
I haven't had too many regrets yet, but I did cut a mangled up fender enough to get to the bolts to remove it as I'm loosing the bolts I sliced my arm on the metal I just cut. Luckily my neighbor is a Dr and used his wife's sewing kit to stitch me up

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
Great thread!

1. Buying new tires when the wife said NOT to! %) 6 months ago and I'm still hurting.......

more later..

OP
OP
Mac2Night

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Ohio,

This one made me remember about the time I installed a brand new motor (actually remanufactured but new insides) in my '77 and wanted to go back with a Edelbrock intake and a 4bbl carb. Ended up installing the water lines into AIR ports and when I finally got it cranked.... CRASH, BANG, BOOM (bent a rod, luckily only one and scored the cylinder). Had to have it sleeved and reassembled (age 20 at the time).

I have another, cranking an engine for a while that wouldnt start, pull the distributor out while the ignition key is still turned on, when I bump the distributor metal gear against the side of the distributor well I got a spark. Yes all the gas vapor from cranking exploded. CRANK CASE EXPLOSION. It shot the distributor out of my hand and up into the hood denting the hood out ward, damaging my distributor and making me nearly crap my pants.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
* welding in the seats because I need to go riding NOW
* paying for a mekanik
* paying $400 for a used engine
* replacing a 351w and NP435 with a 302 and a 3 speed
* not using a fuse
* cutting off the rear bumper to install a body lift, but not doing a good enough job to save the bumper
* running for 2 years without ANY shocks

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Bypass the neutral safety switch and then crank the engine by jumping the solenoid. ( Ignition on)
laying on your back, press the 205 into place and not make the stab.
drive out of the garage with the hood up.
weld / flammable liquid. you know the drill.
try to run an AOD / 408 combo. 2 times.
Not buy a hi 9 rear
buy a ricks top
Buy MSD products.

bosshoff

Contributor
Purchased a rubber floor kit for at least $200.00 that just plain sucked.

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
10. Put ANY money into fixing a Dana 30
9. attempt to hook a trans and engine together.....alone
8. take a hardtop off by myself
7. clean Bronco parts in the dining room
6. clean Bronco parts in the dish washer
5. enlist wife to clean Bronco parts
4. purchase 31" tires ("cool, I am off-road capable now)
3. Purchase 33" tires after a 3 1/2 suspension lift (should have gone 35")
2. Throw a tool in frustration in the garage. It WILL bounce off something and hit the most expensive item in the garage.
1. Read about upgrades on CB.com (this has led my Bronco to be in a constant state of "upgrade")
;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I cut my first one when it was 6 years old. :-[

I cut an unmolested '71 on one side only ..just a wild cutout with a sawzall in a big hurry...simply to make a tire and rim fit so I could move it. The one it had on was blown and dry rotted and I didn't have a 'skinny' spare to put on it to move it.:cry: It was a long time ago, but...

Sold an incredibly rust-free and freshly painted '68 for 3500 bucks...to save it from myself; I wanted to build a trail rig and was eyeing that perfect truck too hungrily. Only EB I've ever sold. Well..I sold two actually..but bought one of 'em back, so that don't count. ;D

Took my EB MX/TT racer to Tellico and trail drove it..twice. %)

Bronc76

10. Put ANY money into fixing a Dana 30
9. attempt to hook a trans and engine together.....alone
8. take a hardtop off by myself
7. clean Bronco parts in the dining room
6. clean Bronco parts in the dish washer
5. enlist wife to clean Bronco parts
4. purchase 31" tires ("cool, I am off-road capable now)
3. Purchase 33" tires after a 3 1/2 suspension lift (should have gone 35")
2. Throw a tool in frustration in the garage. It WILL bounce off something and hit the most expensive item in the garage.
1. Read about upgrades on CB.com (this has led my Bronco to be in a constant state of "upgrade")
;D

#6 gives me an idea.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc76
#6 gives me an idea.

70EB
I would HIGHLY recommend against this for marital and domestic disturbance reasons....

You do not want to piss off the Minister of Finance and War.

he's obviously been married awhile and learned some lessons.
lmao

Bronc76

he's obviously been married awhile and learned some lessons.
lmao[/QUOTE]

She works nite shift;)

smct04

Loc.
Hays, Kansas
you all crack me up. i'm the wife, and i cleaned engine's nuts, bolts and pins in my kitchen sink and they weren't 'shiny' enough (i like things to shimmer) so i popped them in the dishwasher & for really good measure, i pushed the sanitize cycle, because everyone needs to make sure their motor doesn't get germs; i used ammonia, bleach, and vinegar-bowls and plates still come out looking like they have a film on them.
Yeah, and i didn't tell my husband. it's my f**king dishwasher, my kitchen, and my bronco-i do what i want.
oh, wait, that's because I'm the minister of finance and war!

lmao

Dirtheadz

Loc.
Colorado Springs
#10- whlie starting a frame off (not much was off yet) hit the tranny linkage and rode my creeper down a 20 percent grade of a driveway I had.
#9- screwing with my buddy, grabbed the ground end of the plasma cutter (yes i was leaning on the body when he started cutting)
#8- tried to make a contraption to pully my hard top to the garage ceiling (don't do it)
#7- lift both rear tires by the 3rd member with no front wheel chocks (try to hold back a EB with a removable jack handle)
#6- weld up cage and not cover "any" glass
#5- run 36's with 3 1/2" lift
#4- run 38.5 baja claws unbalanced (death wobble at 40 will make you sh!t your pants)
#3- sell a decent '74, to buy a beat up '92 Toyota that burns oil
#2- completly rebuild a D44 end to end, new 4:56's and locker, forget to put in oil cause i wanted to try it out.
#1- buy a uncut '71 sport, after wife said no. . . the rear seat is not very comfy for sleeping.

side note: selling my '91 Centerion

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
70 EB 's list seemed to hit home for every one ....Since I'm 60 I'M good at this screwing up bit.... I think my 1st was just washing car parts in my mothers favorite cobbler pan .. She said I had to eat that hole blackberry cobble by myself ..Only because it taste like gasoline..... Who would have thought she wouldn't have washed taht pan before she cooked that cobbler....Daddy thought it was funny, he didn't like cobbler he had false teeth and the seeds got under his plates .
.....Then his no 1.. starting some upgrade you've read about on here ...It seems as though some of the work you guys do.. gets left out as you write about the so called upgrade.
...And doing the upgrade on your own without approval from the upper powers...Then finding out she didn't really think it was a good ideal ...Since she controls 90% of the money and 100% of the P_ _ _Y ..... Damn I'm glad I'm not 25 again.....
......Well Fine I'll just go play with the Bronco then.....

Cip68

Loc.
Harleysville
My number one, out of thousands, would be letting my 75 idle in the garage without the shift linkage hooked up. Yep, you guessed it, drops into reverse. Did I mention the freshly painted, rust free, perfect drivers door was open? Well, Bronco backs up, door catches work bench, door crushes and hyperextends into front fender, I grab front bumper and try to hold it back(yeah right). Bronco proceeds to back into my $5000.00 tool box, which then is pushed into the garage wall. Yeah, that was a sad sad day.