• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Top Loader Help: strange 1-2 shift lever position?

FirstTimer67

After modifying the bracket and linkage to move my shifter a few inches forward, I’m trying to reinstall the Hurst shifter on my 4spd Top Loader but the 1-2 shift lever on the transmission seems out of whack.

The lever travels from the 6 o’clock position to the 8 o’clock position which suggests that that 6 o’clock is 1st, 7 o’clock is Neutral, and 8 o’clock is 2nd, right? As it sits, the only time I can move the other levers into 3-4 or reverse is when the 1-2 lever is straight down in the 6 o’clock position but that doesn’t make sense to me.

Am I missing something? Or is it possible that something inside the transmission is off?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
What he said ^^^ - did you flip the shift levers over by accident ? - down vs up or vice versa .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And on any manual trans (more visible with side levers though) you are not supposed to be able to move one lever until the other lever, or levers are in their neutral position.
After all, it wouldn't be good to be in 1st and 4th at the same time. Or worse yet, reverse!

Sounds like your 6 o'clock positions are the neutral positions then, so that releases the detent balls and springs from their notches in the internal shift shafts so that the next shaft can be allowed to move.

Paul