• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

toploader swap

70Sport

Loc.
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm planning on doing this swap soon and trying to figure how much it will cost me.<br>How much can I expect to pay for one of these trannys?<br>Also what is the cost of the machining for the three speed housing? <br>Anything else besides the shifter and tail shaft?<br>Thanks

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I doing this to one of my 77s
  • wide ratio top-loader = $200
  • master rebuilt kit from David Kee Top-loaders= $175.
  • rear output shaft from Advance Adaptors = $286
  • Machining for adaptor housing $20. for lunch for a machinist that did me a favor
  • Still need to purchase shifter kit from Duffs

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Do you want an OD, wide ratio or close ratio? The OD is hard to find (the Van version that is), and the wide ratio is also fairly hard to find. I got mine from an '84 Econoline, but it's OD. They run about $350 used and about $700-825 rebuilt. I just called every place in the greater Bay Area to get one. I can mill out the stock tailhousing, I already built the tooling for my neighbor's Bridgeport. You need the shifter, possibly a new driveshaft in the rear and that's basically it if you already have a clutch linkage.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I've read somewhere that you should stay away for the later top-loader OverDrives something about the gears being to far apart. I got a wide ratio type and I used this ID chart to help me find it. This chart will give you the codes and identifications.

mgweiss

Loc.
Denver
The toploader swap is fairly stright forward. Its only a 1/2 inch longer so you don't need new drive shafts or crossmember. I've ran both the wide ratio and OD versions in the past and didn't have very good luck with them. I picked up these transmisions for less that $100 but they were in poor condition. I changed out all the bearings but they didn't last long before they started grinding, howling and popping out of gear. So in my opinion its worth paying a few extra $ for a good rebuilt toploader to start with. I've still got the tailshafts, shifter, and other items if anyone's interested.<br>

Draper69

Loc.
Oroville Ca.
Do you have the adapter parts mgweiss? If you do i'll buy them from you....give me an email if you got um..<br><br>kdrapers@pacbell.net

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
::) ::) ::) I run the top loader 4 spd. it came from a 69 cougar along with a 351W 4V put in bronco in 72 still there and going strong good luck . :D :D :D Bill 8) ::) :p