• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torque LBS & JB Weld

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Anyone have the torque lbs for an alluminum intake manifold on a 302? I know the sequence just forgot how tight I should torque the bolts.

Also, I picked up a radiator (used) that does work but one of the hose necks leaks. Anyone use JB Weld to seal it?

ft bronc

Loc.
Greater Cincinnati
I never use a torque wrench, but even with a cast iron manifold its very light - maybe 25 ft-lbs - not even full speed-handle tight. I remember the first time I tightened an Al manifold on a 289, my Dad showed me how tight to go & I thought for sure nothing would seal, but that's all it takes.

If you're just putting a motor together & are using Fel-Pro blue head gaskets, they issued a TSB 1 or 2 years ago recommending 80 ft-lbs (90% sure on that number) on the top row of head bolts. They've been having trouble with the heads lifting when the manifold is tightened. I didn't believe it unitl it happened to me on a motor my PO had rebuilt.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I don't know the torque specs off the top of my head but you will need to torque the intake and in the right sequence. Aluminum intakes tend to leak unless they are torqued correctly.
As for the JB weld I have had good luck using it just as you described. Make sure everything is clean and the surface has been scuffed a bit to promote a good bond. If the neck is being strained by a hose pulling against it I would not rely on the patch to be permanent.

pyro fighter

Loc.
kennewick, WA
I would look inside that neck and see why it cracked, if you missing metal then JB will stop the leak there but it will crack some where else. Also I think here in town it cost me 20 bucks to have a crack in my radiator fixed and then they pressure tested the system. Its worth the money to do it right I think.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Use a torque wrench and buy yourself a Haynes manuel for a torque sequence.

Have the radiator neck soldered. JB Weld will work in an emergency, but I wouldn't relie on it for a permenant fix.