• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tough Tuffy?

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I just got around to attempting to install my Tuffy Glove box from the mass buy. After the thing is mounted the lock wont engage.

The door hits the dash and wont allow the lock to engage. I have all the holes lined up properly. Has this happened to anyone else here?

thanx,

?:?

Mick

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
No I didn't have a problem with it not engaging. The pain was putting that little frame around the dash frame. Did you put that in? I figured if thats not in it won't pull the dash away enough to allow the lock to engage. ?

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
Yup. My brother's is like that. You really gotta shut it when you do. No light pushing type of stuff. I wasn't really involved in the installation it might have to do with the distance you mounted it into the dash.

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
sfaforester said:
No I didn't have a problem with it not engaging. The pain was putting that little frame around the dash frame. Did you put that in? I figured if thats not in it won't pull the dash away enough to allow the lock to engage. ?

Yeah, I did. Interesting that I can'tget it to move enough to shut it though. I'll have another go at it tomorrow...sured be nice to get this thing working. I ven tried toloosen the lock mechanism and move it closer to the latch...no go.

:-[

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
sfaforester said:
Have you tried calling Tuffy? It may just be a "defective" one. I bet they'd send you another. ;)

Yeah, I thought about that too. Just kinda disappointed. I'll probably give 'em a call tomorrow.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine did that too but I was able to loosen all of the screws and push the box out (or tilt it up) just a little more which made it a lot easier to close. Mine wouldn't latch at all at first. Good Luck.

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
What SC74 said............loosen all the screws........tilt the box up, from the bottom so that the top tilts foward..........with some help, tighten the side screws as tight as you can get em and then retighten the top screws.

Good luck!

gidieupp

Loc.
NYC
and I thought I was the only one! I ended up doing what SC74 and bowhunter did. But to make it easier, I also took the door off mine, to get the screws in. The bracket that came with the glove box did not have double side tape. When I first got the box in and tried to shut the door, I ran into the same problem. So I loosened the screws and I pushed up on the bottom of the box (in the back) then tightened the screws. I tried to post photos but they were too big, so I put them in my gallery.

Last edited:

schneire

Loc.
Lindenhurst
SC74 said:
Mine did that too but I was able to loosen all of the screws and push the box out (or tilt it up) just a little more which made it a lot easier to close. Mine wouldn't latch at all at first. Good Luck.

I did the same thing. Loosen the bolts adjust and tighten. It is really close, and has chipped the paint on the dash, but it does close easily.

Dirty Red

Loc.
Livonia, Michigan
Ditto ditto.
Loosen screws and push up from the rear prior to retightening and hold in that position while you do.
It was a tight fit on mine too.

sellers69

Loc.
Durango, Colorado
I had the same problem with my center console, I called tuffy just to say I really didnt appreciate it. I bent the strike up and it latched just fine. But I really feel you should have to bend anything that cost you $200 plus...