• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Towing Bronco?

Alaw143

I have a 31' Class c motorhome, going to the desert this weekend, looking to save a little money but want to keep it safe as far as towing it out there.

Do I need a trailer with brakes?

70', 302, w/o hard top

Spartan

Loc.
Backwoods, KS
I wouldn't think a trailer with brakes is a MUST given the weight, but trailer brakes are a safer set-up when towing

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
In Pennsylvania any trailer over 1500 lbs is required to have brakes on at least one axle. I'm not sure about other state's laws but I wouldn't feel too safe towing my Bronco without trailer brakes.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Met an original owner of a 68 HC that flat towed his behind his camper, he was from Ocala Florida and was headed back home from a trip to MOAB, he said he made the trip at least every other year, flat towing each time.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
YES it's the only way to go, If you were to hit any Rain/Snow Etc. it will push you around.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I flat tow mine with no brakes,but if I was to add the weight of a trailer I would want brakes.I almost lost my motorhome brakes years ago flat towing a 66 El Camino out of the Georgetown area of Northern California. If any mountain driving I highly recommend brakes...

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I towed my dad's 37 Plymouth from PA to CA on a flatbed trailer with no brakes many years ago. It was sketchy at times. I towed my Bronco 70 miles the day I bought it, over a mountain pass and that day sold me on the value of trailer brakes. It's doable without but brakes are highly recommended.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have a 31'class C you should seriously give some thought to do you really want to tow with it. That is a load on the drivetrain on its own-w/o a trailer. Check your receiver-it will give you the tow weight limit. If it says 5000 then pack your patient pill and be ready for a slow trip and hope you don't have to pull any hills.

Big yes on trailer with brakes on BOTH axles for the Class C to be happy.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Yes! Brakes on the trailer along with reinforcing the frame on the motorhome!

triracer67

Contributor
Guess I messed up. Towed my Cherokee behind my 33 ft class C to and from Alaska, in the winter. Not one issue, used a bumper mount hitch. It was nice because we would unhook when we got to camp sites, much easier than trailer. When encounter a lot of snow and ice, and wildlife.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
To save the output shaft T-case or trans you can remove the driveshaft. Or put it on a trailer. Or full floaters.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
If you have a 31'class C you should seriously give some thought to do you really want to tow with it. That is a load on the drivetrain on its own-w/o a trailer. Check your receiver-it will give you the tow weight limit. If it says 5000 then pack your patient pill and be ready for a slow trip and hope you don't have to pull any hills.

Big yes on trailer with brakes on BOTH axles for the Class C to be happy.

I'll agree here, those motorhomes are overloaded as soon as you get in the drivers seat.