• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

towing bronco

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
do you guys think it would be wise to tow my bronco on a 16 foot tandem axle trailer with a 2005 Lincoln Aviator from san antonio to corpus christi?

tia

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Yeah you should be fine. Be better if the trailer had brakes but just take it slow on stops and you should be fine.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I agree totally doable but i would make sure you have trailer brakes cause things can get ugly when least expected, usually at the fault of other drivers;)

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
I tow my Broncos with a Suburban on a 20ft trailer. Make sure your load is balanced, I loaded one quick the other day for a short trip and got it a little too forward on the trailer. Everytime I stopped it felt like it was trying to pick up the front end of the Suburban. I agree trailer brakes are great but with that size vehicle it's not necessary if your careful.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Yep, trailer brakes would be nice, but you'll also have to worry about your tranny. Don't use OD and don't push it too much. I pulled my bronco on a similar setup in a V8 explorer for a 5hr round trip, but it was over a course of a weekend (2 2.5hr trips). I also pulled my bronco 2hrs up steep grades in Colorado with the same setup. It was less than ideal and probably not good at all on the tranny, but it survived. Try not to make the tranny shift much and take it easy, you'll probably be fine. If you plan to do this often, I'd look into a tranny cooler. Oh, you should load the bronco on the trailer so that the rear of your Navigator squats a couple inches. It's a delicate balance between overloading your truck and centering the weight on the trailer. Weight centered on the trailer makes the trailer fishtail bcause it jerks around the rear of your tow rig with any slight steering.

J.D.

OP
OP
red67

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
thanks for the advice. it is my gf's aviator and it has a 5 speed automatic transmission. i pulled a good size uhaul down from michigan with no issues but this would be significantly heavier. i probably should not use the o drive,right?
im planning on doing some fishing on padre island and want fourwheel down to the landcut. thanks again.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
FWIW, I've used my 97 Exlorer to tow my EB on my heavy car trailer (Close to 2K by itself) on several occasions. I also used it to tow my travel trailer across the US a few times. When I first started using it for towing I worried about using overdrive but after awhile I quit worrying. Now I only turn it off if the trany starts hunting back and forth between gears. I.E. As long as it shifts into overdrive and stays there most of the time I leave it alone.