• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Towing four wheels down

etennessen

Just a quick note to thank all of those who previously posted on towing the bronco. I just finished a 4400 mile RV trip towing my 68 with all four wheels down. I read through all of the previous posts before deciding to disconnect my rear drive shaft.

As many of the posts said, it was very simple. Disconnect two u-bolts, tape the caps, and strap the drive shaft up and out of the way. Towed like a charm with no problems.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
Good call on disconnecting the drive shaft. We burned up a t-case on our old one by leaving it connected.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Just a quick note to thank all of those who previously posted on towing the bronco. I just finished a 4400 mile RV trip towing my 68 with all four wheels down. I read through all of the previous posts before deciding to disconnect my rear drive shaft.

As many of the posts said, it was very simple. Disconnect two u-bolts, tape the caps, and strap the drive shaft up and out of the way. Towed like a charm with no problems.

Just as the owners manual calls for along with trans and transfer case in neutral.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I just picked up a manual for my 77...tons of useful information in it! Plus it is fun to read through

They are to the point and very uncomplicated aren't they?. Hell the book for the radio in my Focus has more pages than the Bronco owners manual.

OP
OP
E

etennessen

Very uncomplicated. My tech skills are limited to changing the oil, and I figured this one out.

We towed through fifteen states, starting in California, through Colorado to South Dakota, then down through Texas and back home.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I flat tow my 73 also.Twin stick makes it easy to move when you unhook for the day.Just lock the hubs and put it in front drive.Just be sure the rear is in neutral.