• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TPS for 4R70W behind a carbed motor???

price209

Loc.
Folsom
New to the forums so please take it easy on me. I am just starting a rebuild on a 73 that I bought from my grandpa who was the original owner. It was stock with the C4 but the tranny needs some help. The motor is fine, 10K miles on a rebuilt 302 with an edelbrock 650 off road carb. I have a chance to pick up a working 4R70W out of a 2000 explorer with a bauman controller for $700. I don't have the budget right now to go to efi so please don't suggest that. I have looked at a lot of the forums regarding the install on the 4R70W and know that if I am going to be running the carbed motor I will need a remote TPS. I have found the TCI TPS, but it is almost $200 after tax and shipping, if I really look I've heard I can get it for $150. Don't really want to drop that much money since I hope to go to efi in the future, does anyone know of any other TPS that I might be able to make work??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hit a junkyard and look around. Typically what gets used a lot is GM throttle body TPS. But you have to make your own bracket for the passenger side of the carb.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I looked into something similar a couple years ago. Bauman told me they make one that will work on an AFB. It may be the same one as TCI's, I hope not. After all my research I decided to keep the C4. Something to consider.

OP
OP
P

price209

Loc.
Folsom
I'm not very familiar with tips units, do they all work pretty similar and do they all send a usable signal to the bauman controller? I can fab a bracket no problem, I just wasnt sure what actual tps units would work.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They are generally all the same. Mid 80's and 90's most anything has them. Most are rotary, those are easiest to work with. Ford typically uses a slot and the end of the throttle shaft looks like a fat screwdriver to turn it. Most of the GM stuff has a metal finger that is the easiest to make follow the throttle shaft movement.

I can't think of any TPS that won't work. A few may be more confusing with added idle and/or WOT switches. But in general they are all universal. The Baumann gets programmed with whatever the idle voltage is for whatever sensor you are using. If you want a generic year, make, model; '95 Chevy ½ ton with a 350.

bronconate68

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I just went through this and I followed the recommendations listed on the Baumann site. Here is the list of the three TPS units:

Wells TPS117, available at Autozone
GP Sorensen 779-3552, available at Advance Auto Parts
Standard Motor Products TH31, available at many independent parts suppliers.

http://www.becontrols.com/tpsretro.htm

The most you should pay is about $65 dollars. All three are basically identical. The first unit I purchased seemed to fail, key word seemed. So I purchased another that came with a lifetime warranty. If the C4 has the kick-down cable, you can use the cable to connect to the TPS. I found an L bracket in my scrap pile, made a few mods with a drill and connected the bracket to the manifold and the TPS to the bracket and it worked great. Real easy.

OP
OP
P

price209

Loc.
Folsom
I just went through this and I followed the recommendations listed on the Baumann site. Here is the list of the three TPS units:

Wells TPS117, available at Autozone
GP Sorensen 779-3552, available at Advance Auto Parts
Standard Motor Products TH31, available at many independent parts suppliers.

http://www.becontrols.com/tpsretro.htm

The most you should pay is about $65 dollars. All three are basically identical. The first unit I purchased seemed to fail, key word seemed. So I purchased another that came with a lifetime warranty. If the C4 has the kick-down cable, you can use the cable to connect to the TPS. I found an L bracket in my scrap pile, made a few mods with a drill and connected the bracket to the manifold and the TPS to the bracket and it worked great. Real easy.

Thanks for the info. How did the rest of your install go? What shifter did you use for the 4r70w?

bronconate68

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I have a B&M mega truck shifter and I stuck with that even though I have a new winters in the house. I did use the winters shift arm. Small modifications were needed.

The install wasn't that bad. I had to fab the cross-member that wasn't pretty but it works. The computer connections were easy. The tuning took a bit but once I figured it out it wasn't much of a problem. The shift points and line pressure are the key. I have a few mods left, like a manual lockup button, but all in all I really like it. I was running 3000 rpms at 60-65 mph with 4:88, 37", and stock C4 gears. Now I run 2100 - 2200 rpms at 70 mph.

If we weren't on opposite sides of the continent I might have a deal for you as I have a 4r70w with the matching torque converter in my garage. Oh well. Good luck, this conversion is worth it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I just looked up the TH31 on rockauto.

CADILLAC FLEETWOOD (1982 - 1983)
EAGLE PREMIER (1988 - 1990)
JEEP CHEROKEE (1986 - 1990)
JEEP COMANCHE (1986 - 1990)
JEEP WAGONEER (1986 - 1987)
JEEP WRANGLER (1987 - 1990)
RENAULT ALLIANCE (1985 - 1987)
RENAULT ENCORE (1985 - 1986)

It is a pretty generic part.