• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Track bar bushing help

green71

I replaced my track bar bushings and cannot tighten the one on the axle end tight enough to get a full nut. What am I doing wrong? It is a 71 with a D30 if that matters. Thanks in advance for the help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Strange, but we've seen it before too. The usual cure is to leave the rear washer out, if you're still using one.
I think I even ended up using a thinner washer under the nut as well, but can't remember.

Is yours running a thick washer under the nut and another between the bushing/sleeve and the mount? Or is the bushing right up against the mount?

I seem to remember one that was so extreme the guy had to source a thinner nut!

Good luck.

Paul

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I replaced my track bar bushings and cannot tighten the one on the axle end tight enough to get a full nut. What am I doing wrong? It is a 71 with a D30 if that matters. Thanks in advance for the help.

Did you have full nut engagement prior to the new bushings? Have you tried removing the bar and bushings and thread the nut on to the stud just to make sure the threads are OK and didn't get goofed up in some way. Are the new bushings combined thickness similar to the ones you removed?
New bushing and metal sleeve OK... burred, maybe try using some lubrication (WD40, liquid hand soap, etc.)

DJs74