• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trailer with living quarters?

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
Does anybody have a reference for a 5th wheel trailer that has room for the broco and has a living quarters in the front. I want something less than 35 feet that can be pulled with my F-350 powerstroke.

Here is an idea that I had, buy a goose neck and put a slide in truck camper on the front of the gooseneck. Have not really looked into it, but it is an idea.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 25
  • camper.jpg
    camper.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 578

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Lots of info on them here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=30

I'd do it myself, but I'll be full with just a 30' gooseneck with 2 rigs. I really don't want to go any longer.

If you have deeper pockets, you can look into a heavy duty toy hauler, or even a race trailer.

Dusty (username here) has a really nice trailer that is like a race trailer. There's a buildup thread on it somewhere.

ricks77eb

Loc.
Deer Park, Texas
A number of my friends have used this idea. One of them used the slide in camper like you are talking about, another bought a trailer that was made with the living quarters on the front, and another one of them put a box off of moving truck on the trailer. All seem to work fine, its living accomodations and hauls the Bronco what more could you ask for.

OP
OP
M

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
I am thinking of the slide in camper route because I could take the camper off and use the trailer to haul multiple vehicles if necessary.

Thanks

ricks77eb

Loc.
Deer Park, Texas
My friend that has done that to his trailer, all he did was build a frame for it to sit in, the frame is the same deminsions as a truck bed. The camper is not very easy to put on and take off of the trailer. If you have a nice sized fork lift at your disposal it should be no problem.

Rick

OP
OP
M

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
Why couldn't a person use the jacks off the camper to jack it up off the frame and drive out from under the camper?

matt

OP
OP
M

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
I am sure somebody could engineer some type of extension to make the jacks work, but if I could not take the camper off that would not be a big deal. I just need something that can haul the bronco and have a living quarters.

I can't seem to find a trailer stout enough to haul the bronco and that has a front living quarters that is not over 35 feet in length. I like to camp in some areas that having more than 35 feet would be tough to get in and out of.

thanks

matt

PaulC

For full enclosed tags or gooseneck toy haulers with enough size and cargo capacity for a Bronco -

Tags-
Vintage Trailers - XSport model - 30ft tag, front bedroom, full bath weighs 7700, 12000lb gross, you'll be at max w/Bronco, water, and gear, $19-23k
http://www.vintagetrailers.com/xsport.htm

Millenium Trailers - looks like they rebadge Vintage? same base trailer, can add other options (like 7k axles). gets expensive fast, checkout the online quote dealio. $24-29k
http://milltrailers.com/enclosed/lqtag.asp

RoadMaster Campmaster and Forest River Work and Play tags either don't have enough length in cargo area or enough height in their models at present.

Pace and Haulmark can option in lounge quarters on their tags and goosenecks. Seems they don't do too many, its hard to find a dealer knowledgeable.

Goose -
Forest River Work and Play - 34ft SB model, or 38ft FK model - 17ft cargo, wide enough and tall enough for Bronco, queen bed, full bath. weights alot. don't believe the advertised weight on that SB. $22-29k
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/fifthwheels/worknplay/brochure/2006workandplay.pdf

Featherlite - nice aluminum trailer, their 28ft and 32ft (floor length) goose will have 17ft and 21ft cargo areas, enough width and height. weighs 2000lbs less than Work and Play, and $10k more. $37-42k
http://www.fthr.com/document/SURVbro.pdf

if you go the full enclosed trailer with LQ and sizeable cargo area then you are going to need a lot of truck. :)

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I saw a cool idea last year. A guy took the axles/springs off of a around a 18ft travel trailer and bolted it down onto a flat bed trailer and put his heep on the back of it. It looked pretty good just a thought

Dusty

Bronco Guru
My trailer is 28' with three 5000 lb. axles and plenty of room for my EB inside. I work for an RV manufacturer and we used to build toyhaulers (sold that part of our business to Weekend Warrior a couple years ago). At the time I was looking into trailers I was not confident in the design and construction of typical toyhauler-type trailers to hold up to carrying a heavy load like an EB. Being in the industry I was very familiar with the design of ours (which were pretty good actually, for that market) and most of the toyhauler manufacturers. But even with my employee discount I didn't feel good enough about it to pull the trigger. Even though the toyhauler may have 15,000 lbs of axle capacity, the chassis and box are designed to haul motorcycles and quads, not a 4000 lb. trail-ready 4x4. So I had my trailer built to my specs by a custom trailer manufacturer here in So Cal named Universal Trailers. There is a full build-up thread on it over on the Pirate board, with tons of pictures and updates during the build process. I tow it with an 02 F250 PSD. Fully loaded with the EB, gear, 80 gallons of water, firewood, etc., I'm just under the 20,000 lbs. GCWR of the truck. We've used the hell out of it since we got it and we still love it. I didn't have a lot of the luxuries built into it that many toyhaulers come with these days. Since I spend most of my time outside the trailer when I'm camping, I built it to focus on the basics. It has a full-size shower (VERY important to me) and a shitter with lots of legroom, 80 gallon fresh water, 40/40 black and gray waste tanks, small kitchenette with sink, cooktop and cabinets, and 3-way refrigerator. I have fold-down dinette and sofa that also convert to sleeping bunks or fold up against the wall when I load the EB inside. It is all very comfortable for my wife and I. We have mastiffs and sometimes take them camping with us, and there is plenty of room for them inside. With the EB unloaded its like a huge studio apartment inside. By the way, I didn't need 15,000 lbs capacity. But I wanted 3 axles for extra floatation in some of the desert and beach sandy terrain I go to, and it has proven to be a wise choice. I also had them build it with an extra 4" suspension lift for extra clearance when I get off the pavement. If anybody wants to know more about it check out that thread on Pirate or ask away, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Dusty

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Why not just put the slide in camper in the bed of the powerstroke? Then all you need is a car hauler trailer for the Bronco. For a quick run someplace, leave the camper off the truck and just use the trailer. Go camping without the Bronco (Don't know why unless you also have a boat) and take the camper alone (or with the boat).

Weight in the truck beats weight wagging the truck.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Every person's needs are different, but for me the camper was not an option. The things I wanted most are a shitter and a shower, and frankly truck campers suck for both of those. Typically you have to sit with one foot out in the hallway when taking a crap, and you have to actually stand over the crapper when taking a shower, if it has a shower at all. And they usually have only 20 gallons or less of fresh water. I'm a large fellow and truck campers are just too cramped for me. And my pickup is a shortbed so a camper that would fit it would be even more cramped. I agree that it would be pretty convenient but the midget-sized facilities were a deal killer for me. Also, new truck campers can be very expensive, many of them costing more than my custom trailer did. If the trailer is designed right, and loaded correctly it will tow fine without wagging the dog.

By the way, I also considered the camper-on-the-trailer idea but nixed it for the same reasons as above. And I opted for a tag instead of a gooseneck so I would still have my entire truck bed available to haul gear, firewood, etc. It has worked out very well. Each of these various ideas have been discussed thoroughly over on Pirate in the Tow Rigs & Trailers forum, if anyone is interested do a search over there and you'll turn up a wealth of info, photos, opinions, etc.

Dusty

OP
OP
M

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
Bowsher, I hear what you are saying, but the newer slide in campers that are big enough for what I want weigh in at about 4000#'s. I would rather have that behind the truck than in it because I only have a single rear wheel truck.

OP
OP
M

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
Those featherlight trailers look nice and might be what I am looking for. I am still have a lot of time before making my decision.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
This has crossed my mind a few times also. I use a goose neck and framed in the top above the bed of the truck to haul two ATV's along with the EB. I thought about taking the axle out of a smaller pop up camper and mounting it on top. Then put a small ladder from the door down to the trailer floor. It wouldn't do much for a bathroom or shower but it would give me a heated and cooled sleeping quarters. Of coarse the wife thought it would look just too redneck… Then I asked her, what did I look like when using a bush for a bathroom!

DocLewis

Loc.
Hornsby, TN
thumping said:
I thought about taking the axle out of a smaller pop up camper and mounting it on top. Then put a small ladder from the door down to the trailer floor. It wouldn't do much for a bathroom or shower but it would give me a heated and cooled sleeping quarters. Of coarse the wife thought it would look just too redneck… Then I asked her, what did I look like when using a bush for a bathroom!

Anthony, we saw just this setup at the OCBR with a Jeep on the flatbed. I don't know how they managed to get that popup "popped", but somehow they did. Your wife is right -- it did look pretty redneck to me! ;D Doc

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
DocLewis said:
Anthony, we saw just this setup at the OCBR with a Jeep on the flatbed. I don't know how they managed to get that popup "popped", but somehow they did. Your wife is right -- it did look pretty redneck to me! ;D Doc
I saw that too. Guess I'm definately a redneck cause I thought it was a GREAT idea.;D As for how to pop it, some popups have electric motors to pop them up, others have the crank on the same side as the door, which you would point toward the trailer. So you could just stand on the trailer and crank it up. Others have the crank on the end. Its usually pretty low to the ground anyway so you could still probably reach up and crank it while standing on the ground. Then the beds can be pushed out from the inside. They'll support themselves long enough for you to put the braces on from the outside.

I'm used to camping in a tent anyhow, so a pop-up would be a major upgrade for a redneck like me!;)

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
FerrumCampitor said:
I saw that too. Guess I'm definately a redneck cause I thought it was a GREAT idea.;D As for how to pop it, some popups have electric motors to pop them up, others have the crank on the same side as the door, which you would point toward the trailer. So you could just stand on the trailer and crank it up. Others have the crank on the end. Its usually pretty low to the ground anyway so you could still probably reach up and crank it while standing on the ground. Then the beds can be pushed out from the inside. They'll support themselves long enough for you to put the braces on from the outside.

I'm used to camping in a tent anyhow, so a pop-up would be a major upgrade for a redneck like me!;)

You are a special case though, buddy. ;D

I'm looking at putting indoor/outdoor carpet on my trailer, if I can ever get the darn Bronc to quit leaking. That'll catapult me right on up there in the neighborhood ;D ;D