• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tranny coolers

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
how many of you run tranny coolers? the guy i'm restoring the bronco for is listening to his idiot nephew who is telling him that an external tranny cooler is not necessary. he's going to do some serious wheeling a few years after we get it done (too nice to wheel at first), and i told him he needs one. i need a few opinions to give him. what's your thoughts on this one?

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
use it. I have the B&M with a Spal automatic fan. Heat kills autos. Rather have it and use it infrequently than to let this tranny go the way my otherone did. I got photos and details if interested.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
LONG cooler. I love it! Similar design to the stacked plate B&M HotWheels has minus the fan. Biggest one I could get mounted in front of the radiator behind the grill. Plumbed after stock radiator cooler. Found mine on Ebay new in the box and saved a bundle. Working great!

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
funny thing is he already bought the derale cooler with fan and now he's thinking about not using it. he spent $1,000.00 having this tranny built, so i guess when he has to have it rebuilt from the heat, he'll think twice. oh well, he's an architect, he can afford it.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I'm running a B&M stacked plate. I'm in NY so I ran it through the radiator to pick up some heat in the winter.If your gonna use that Bronco you really need it.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) You don't need one if you like rebuilding and have a lot of money to burn other wise run one. Heat is a killer of the auto trans. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

72bronco

Bronco Guru
wildbill is right, you need a tranny cooler. Especially if you wheel. It certainly can't hurt and it most likely will extend the life of your tranny. There is absolutely no reason not to run one.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
show him this chart. you definitely need a cooler to keep the tranny in the 175-180 temp range

Attachments

• trans_life_expectancy.jpg
    trans_life_expectancy.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 117

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Great chart! If he has any more doubt have him go to a Chrysler dealer and open the hood of a Cummins powered truck. The external cooler is seperate from everything.
On my Bronco (serious off roader) I too run a derale cooler/fan/thermostat combo. I wouldn't be without it! Remember to tell him that without it he can be assured that the trans WILL go out at the worst possible time, in the middle of no where. How will he feel about getting towed back by someone else? That ruins not only his day but also who ever has to tow him back. If this is even possible

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
So not only is he having someone else build his truck for him, but then he won't take that persons advice even though he's already droped the cash for a good cooler?
I say let it fry.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
If he has money to burn he can send it my way. Christmas is coming and I need to get the GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip and few other things. ;D
Seriously, I don't know why he wouldn't use the cooler and fan setup. Just not thinking. If it the thermostat regulated one, it will keep him right where he needs to be and tranny very happy. But, if you can't convince him, again, he can happily make donations to my buildup. :)

71sport408

Loc.
Mandan
Ben you need to check out my new setup before you do anything. You know I've been down that road!

Will ;D

teqoso

Loc.
walnut creek,ca
Where are some of you guys running your coolers? I am planning on running mine under the driver seat. It is protected by the rock rails that are being installed. I ran out of room in the engine compartment and that seemed like a great place to run it and be protected. The other question is, what or who makes a tranny cooler gauge? Thanks guys

highrlr

Loc.
Bismarck, ND
teqoso said:
Where are some of you guys running your coolers? I am planning on running mine under the driver seat. It is protected by the rock rails that are being installed. I ran out of room in the engine compartment and that seemed like a great place to run it and be protected. The other question is, what or who makes a tranny cooler gauge? Thanks guys

I would mount it in front of your radiator, thats where I have always run mine. The problem i see with running it under your driver seat is it will probably get beat up pretty bad from rocks getting thrown at it from your tires or getting packed with mud when off road, and there also isnt going to be much airflow up under there except maybe when your on the highway. Just my two cents.

My question is does it hurt to run a tranny too cold? I am going to put an external cooler on mine and was planning on bypassing the stock cooler since it will run the tranny cooler in the summer and also keep some unnecassary heat out of the radiator, but will I get any heat in the winter? I live in ND so we frequantly see -20to-30degreeF in the dead of winter and that is without the windchill factor (bbbrrrrr).I was once told put the tranny in neutral when it warms up since it alows the fluid to flo through the tranny and lossen it up some in the intense cold, any truth to this?

Oh and you can get a tranny temp guage from auto-meter, I mounted my sensor in the pan and that seemed to work good.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
75017890.jpg

That's where mine is. If you have a good working shroud it pulls air through there nicely too. I'm running an Autometer gauge run in the pan in mine too.

Don't make fun of my ziptips. ;D They work for now.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I run a staked plate cooler in front of the radiator bypassing the radiator cooler. In socal you dont need radiator heat and with it out of the coolant loop your engine runs cooler in the summer. If the guy doesnt think he needs it is because he has never been in 4-wd. architects dont need coolers to climb up in dirt lots. 4-wheelers do need them as soon as the pavement ends. For the most part you really need the tranny cooler if your tire and gear ratios are mismatched that combination will kill a tranny in short order.

teqoso

Loc.
walnut creek,ca
I would love to run in front of the radiator, but with the auxiallary fan there isn't much room left. I am even running with a fiberglass hood. I'll have to think about the issue with mud and rocks, I good run a small shield to protect it, and maybe a system to funnel air thru it.

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
oooooh, i love this feedback. wait till i show him this thread tomorrow, especially with the chart- thank you!

wil, when can i get together with you? did you get a windshield?

71sport408

Loc.
Mandan
What are you doing tomorrow? I'm getting glass in the morning and I'm outa here on Wednesday!

Will :cool: