• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer case fluid

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
I know this has probably been discussed more than once but i just had to put a new seal and yoke in the frontof the transfer case. I replaced the seal earlier and still leaked and pulled the yoke back off and noticed it had bad grooves in it so replaced the yoke. Question is, how much fluid goes in it. I first filled up to where it was tunng out of the filler hole. Is that to much?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, your transfer case, rear ends and manual tranny should be filled until the fluid just drips out of the filler hole. Good luck

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Fill to the bottom of the hole is industry standard. The hole is placed so you can't over fill (unless you really try). And generally large enough that you can stick a finger in one joint and feel for fluid. To check fluid at maintenance you pull the fill plug. If just a little drools out, stick the plug back in. If a lot runs out, you lost another seal (typically transmission draining into transfer case or it got filled with water). If none runs out, stick a finger in and feel if it is just below the fill hole (this is fine). Don't feel anything, now you are low. Depending on how well you know the box and why it is low you either panic or just add what you know is lost and keep going.

OP
OP
F

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
The reason I asked was after i put a new seal in it and filled it back up and it started coming out of the filler hole, i put the plug back in. Then as my wife drove it,it was pouring back out around the seal. Thats when i put a new yoke in cause the old one was grooved bad. But as i pulled the old yoke
Back off, it just continued to pour fluid out. I guess the hole where the seal is, must be lower than the fill plug