• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer Case issues

Hunter

Loc.
Coeur d'Alene ID
I want to take the chance to say Hello! to everyone! I joined in the last couple of weeks and am really enjoying the board. I've had a '72 for about 10 years now, and with the help of the EBML, it now has a '69 351W, with a ZF1 five speed attached.
I do have a question I'm hopeing someone can answer:
My Tcase has been getting more and more difficult to shift into 4 Hi. and finally quit. It will go into 4 lo,and 2 Hi, but I can no longer get it into 4HI. I installed a twin stick over the weekend hopeing that would make the difference, but no luck. Anyone experiance something like this?

Thanks
Rich

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
have you ever had it apart?
changed the oil?

i broke mine open a few days ago while putting on a new cover and it looked like chocolate milk when drained...i guess the PO never bothered :mad:

but i digress, you might want to take off the bottom cover and see what comes out, then sit under with a flashlight and see if there is anything IN the case that is either not shifting or getting in the way of the shift rails.

if that doesn't work, i got no answers :p

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Sounds like it could be overhaul time. There could be a problem in the shift rod within the t-case. In the top, the shift balls with the rod link could be cluttered up with junk and hanging. I agree with the previous post. At a minimum, see what the fluid looks like.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
JaxLax said:
have you ever had it apart?
changed the oil?

i broke mine open a few days ago while putting on a new cover and it looked like chocolate milk when drained...i guess the PO never bothered :mad:

but i digress, you might want to take off the bottom cover and see what comes out, then sit under with a flashlight and see if there is anything IN the case that is either not shifting or getting in the way of the shift rails.

if that doesn't work, i got no answers :p
Chocolate milk eh?? Well we are sending you the end of the not knowing problems aren't we. (sorry matt had to get the dig in)

First drain all the C**p out of the Tcase.
Fill it with the lightest oil or gear oil you can find. I have found straight 0 weight oil or use ATF (yea yea I can hear some guys wailing but the idea is to clean out the garbage in the case and put some lubrication in a tight spot)

Run around with this in the case for a while. If it leaks keep it full

After this, drain it and install some straight weight full synthetic oil in the case. Full synthetic will get into places the other stuff wont so do this. I got some 30 weight from a heavy truck service center.

Run a couple of days with this. shift the case as much as you can. drive it a bit in 4 low in 2 hi etc. get the fluid moving into all places. I am willing to bet this will get the 4 high working.

Drain it again and put in the proper weight oil into this case. The proper stuff is 50 weight non detergent oil.. I use 50 W synthetic hydralic gear oil. Again got it from the truck place

And last but not least, buy a Gear Gawker and see what is going on!! Ask JaxLax about this!! LOL and tongue in cheek.

TOFIC

OP
OP
Hunter

Hunter

Loc.
Coeur d'Alene ID
I'll drain it this week. I had it rebuilt this summer becouse of some gear clatter between acceleration and decleration (didn't help)
If I pull off the cover, and have my kid try and shift it, shouldl I be able to see anything move on the inside? I've never actually been inside the case, so I'm not sure what to expect - Does a gear slide if its not actually driving?

Thanks!

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
TOFIC said:
Chocolate milk eh?? Well we are sending you the end of the not knowing problems aren't we. (sorry matt had to get the dig in)

And last but not least, buy a Gear Gawker and see what is going on!! Ask JaxLax about this!! LOL and tongue in cheek.

TOFIC

ummm, that's why i was putting it on.... %)
i used an entire can of cleanser to get it all clean... :eek:

and as TOFIC said clean oil and some synthetic.
I'm putting in 75% of 50 weight and 25% Lucas Stabililzer...for about a week or two.
then flushing it out and putting more fresh back in.
that oughta do it ;D

OP
OP
Hunter

Hunter

Loc.
Coeur d'Alene ID
Ok, I ran a couple of miles with ATF in it, actually got into 4 hi once. Drained it and put in a very thin penetrating oil, couple of more miles, in and out of 4 lo, and 2 lo, just not into 4 hi.
So I gave up, drained the oil and pulled the cover. Everything looks great, but for some reason it the 4x gear will not slide all the way up to engage. Its like the shifter is hitting something. So I'm assuming there is an issue with the shift rail, or the "detent" I keep hearing about. So any ideas how I can pull that stuff out? I do have that new twin stick on there, so I don't mind it missing if I can just get this to work.
Anyone got a web site, or pics that would show me what to do...or any one got any other ideas?

Thanks
Rich

OP
OP
Hunter

Hunter

Loc.
Coeur d'Alene ID
Update

Wanted to post an update. Thanks to you guys and the archives, I seem to have 4 hi again. I pulled the rear wheel detent bolt, spring and ball, (right beside the shifter) then dribbled in some oil. Then this morning I pulled out the front wheel detent bolt, spring and detent ball and drove it around a little. I have 4 wheel hi and lo again!!. So I added a washer to the front wheel detent bolt to decrease the spring tension, and so far, it is still working. I'm going to take it out this weekend and do some wheeling with a lot of shifting in and out of 4x. Hopefully this will help someone else!!

Thanks Again!!

Rich