• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission Cooler Lines

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
No experience, and no way that I'd run braided hose for a cooler line. I'd run steel first and copper second (with appropriate vibration loops etc.). Why give up the additional cooling that a metal line provides?

OP
OP
Dyehard

Dyehard

Fair point, although I will be running a B&M deep pan so it will have extra fluid to help with cooling also this is for normal street (not long highway trips) driving and no off roading.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The other issue with braided hose is what is its temperature rating? Trans cooler rubber hose has a pretty high temp rating to deal with the hot ATF coming of of the converter. If the hose they're using is just normal braided hose it may not have a high enough temperature tolerance. I'd sure ask about that before buying.

OP
OP
Dyehard

Dyehard

I will definitely ask before buying but it is my understanding that they use teflon ptfe hose inside of the stainless steel braid.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
If they are using the teflon version of hose then it's a non-issue. In their pic it looked like rubber lined hose to me, but I looked at it fairly fast.

CH3NO2jim

Dyehard, Looks like they are selling Fragola products. I personally havent used or seen their products but it is with in spec for what you want to use it for. that is a rubber based hose that they are showing. I have used Earls steel braided rubber hose Performaflex on dozens of applications for trans coolers and ps steering coolers and oil coolers. it is rated over 350° and never had a problem you could use teflon if you wanted but no need to spend that much $$.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure what size fittings either, because the pipe-thread sizes are strange sometimes. I know the lines are larger than 1/8" so are likely at least 1/4" to perhaps as large as 5/16" but I don't believe that they rate the fittings the same way.

Sorry I don't have a C4 to check, but someone here knows the answer to that part of the question.

Paul