• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

transmission guys, how much did you spend in parts to rebuild your C4 or 4R7W

ren71

I have both and want to rebuild one of them. Is the C4 on average cheaper in parts or is the newer 4r70w less likely to need hard parts, thus cheaper?

Any tips on what hard/soft parts to look out for and any links to best place to get said parts?

Can a basic rebuild be done for around $200-$250 in gaskets and stuff for a basic street build with stock horsepower levels and 35s.
What's mandatory or the base minimum of parts to buy.
Like what parts would a shop replace if you wanted a basic rebuild and no hop up parts.

Thanks.

Last edited:

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
The 4R will cost you a lot more. You have to add in the cost of the adapter as well as new gears to properly take advantage of the OD. Don't forget the controller either... so it comes down to what are you looking to do? And what do you want to spend. Now comparing the actual trans rebuild they are relatively similar in cost with the 4R being proportionately a little more due to the fact of the extra gears, lock up torque converter etc.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on the parts you want to use they have cheap rebuild kits and high end rebuild kits

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
A good stock rebuild (new clutches, steels, bands, all seals, sprag, some bushings and rebuilt converter) on a C4 will be about $300 in parts alone. Same for a 4R70W will be more than double that.

OP
OP
R

ren71

So usually about $300 c4 vs $600 4R70w in parts for a mild/stock rebuild. Has anyone rebuilt their 4r70w for less for just a light refreshing where no hard parts were worn and just the basic wear items replaced? Do most tranny shops put $600 worth of parts in a basic rebuild? My 4R is low mileage so I'm hoping all I need are the bare minimum.

Thanks guys

OP
OP
R

ren71

Depends on the parts you want to use they have cheap rebuild kits and high end rebuild kits

Correct, and does anyone have direct experience with the basic kits and have been satisfied
And Viper, you wrote about 300 for a c4 which includes a rebuilt converter( typo or correct? This seems more in line with my budget currently. Any online store recommendations to stay around 300 with converter?

And is the more than double quote for the 4r70w include a converter. Is it a lot cheaper if I don't need a TC. My trans is low mileage so I plan on reusing the TC if it checks out fine, any thoughts?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
So usually about $300 c4 vs $600 4R70w in parts for a mild/stock rebuild. Has anyone rebuilt their 4r70w for less for just a light refreshing where no hard parts were worn and just the basic wear items replaced? Do most tranny shops put $600 worth of parts in a basic rebuild? My 4R is low mileage so I'm hoping all I need are the bare minimum.

Thanks guys

The things I mentioned above are the normal wear items. I don't know about most trans shops but I would say the ones that advertise rebuilt 4R70Ws for $500 aren't replacing many of those wear items.

Correct, and does anyone have direct experience with the basic kits and have been satisfied
And Viper, you wrote about 300 for a c4 which includes a rebuilt converter( typo or correct? This seems more in line with my budget currently. Any online store recommendations to stay around 300 with converter?

And is the more than double quote for the 4r70w include a converter. Is it a lot cheaper if I don't need a TC. My trans is low mileage so I plan on reusing the TC if it checks out fine, any thoughts?

Yes, including converters. I won't put hundreds of dollars into a transmission and then put an old converter on it. Converters have wear parts and they collect a lot of junk inside themselves as do coolers. A local converter rebuilder is the cheapest place to get one. When I was near one I used to be able to get rebuilt C4 converters for as little as $40. Now $90 at chain parts stores. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d..._3784&keyword=torque+converter#itemDetailTab_

I buy most of my parts at bulkpart.com.

Keep in mind these are parts prices only. If you plan to pay someone to do the job expect the labor to add at least as much as the parts to the bill.

Attachments

• c4 parts.jpg
    c4 parts.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
R

ren71

The things I mentioned above are the normal wear items. I don't know about most trans shops but I would say the ones that advertise rebuilt 4R70Ws for $500 aren't replacing many of those wear items.

Yes, including converters. I won't put hundreds of dollars into a transmission and then put an old converter on it. Converters have wear parts and they collect a lot of junk inside themselves as do coolers. A local converter rebuilder is the cheapest place to get one. When I was near one I used to be able to get rebuilt C4 converters for as little as $40. Now $90 at chain parts stores. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d..._3784&keyword=torque+converter#itemDetailTab_

I buy most of my parts at bulkpart.com.

Keep in mind these are parts prices only. If you plan to pay someone to do the job expect the labor to add at least as much as the parts to the bill.

Thanks Viperwolf and others. I don't believe the cheaper transmission shops will do a thorough job so I'm gong to try and do the labor myself, at least if I screw up I only have myself to blame.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
You really don't know what your going to need until you tear your transmission apart. You can count on seals, clutches and steels, but hard parts are the unknown. I personally would not reuse a torque converter on a rebuild either. Your not spending $1800 on a billet triple disk for your diesel, your buying a $100-300 torque converter.

If you have time, tear your trans down and see what you need before you order parts. If you need hard parts, I've always bought them from Cascade Transmissions, they are cheap and have fast shipping.

As far as difficulty the C4 will be much simpler, but frankly the 4R will just have more circuits in the valve body and have more parts, but I really don't feel it would be that much 'harder' to do. Buy an ATSG manual and go step by step. Make sure you have a CLEAN work area large enough to lay everything out in assembly's, stay organized, and take your time. Once you've done one, you won't think they are too bad.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I got my 4r70w parts from here. http://www.transmissionbench.com/AODEparts.html

He has a great video series and answered the phone both times I called him. Jimmy is very helpful. There were a couple of parts I wanted that he didn't have listed but he sourced them and included them in my order. Everything was high quality. Raybestos, Ford, or Borg Warner.

Definitely get the sure cure kit. A worn overdrive servo pin bore is what killed my transmission. He discusses the issue in his videos.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I tore down a 4R70W to convert 2WD with an AA AOD adaptor.
Got inside it and being low miles it was like new. I put in a new set of frictions and the seals I could get to without special tools and called it done. Mostly because I already ordered up all the parts. I did a few things that were not fully needed, get every possible friction in every possible clutch pack type of things. It wasn't much of a parts bill even with all the goodies, few hundred bucks. Still into the swap a couple grand (few hundred for the adaptor, few hundred for the controller, few hundred in driveshafts, a new shifter, odds and ends. But the refresh and upgrade (not really a rebuild) was one of the lower cost parts of the swap.

OP
OP
R

ren71

Excellent tips bronco bros, I'll be sure to check out the other links and grab a video and service manual. I guess I'll have to flip a coin whether to do the c4 or 4R. Maybe I'll rebuild both for the practice and keep one as a backup.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Rebuild the C4 then sell it. Use the proceeds to buy parts for the 4R build.

OP
OP
R

ren71

I went ahead and bought the parts Viperwolf mentioned and I also combined it with Bwoncohowie's list.

$285.35 so far and I hope I don't have to buy any hardparts. I haven't pulled the C4 from the 2nd Bronco yet.

I still need a torque converter, double lip seal, trans fluid, compressor tool, shop manual/ badshoe vid and who knows what else. And since I'm in there I was going to tear into the D20...

This project is starting to add up. But it'll still be a lot cheaper than the 4r70w route. I'll do the 4R for the 2nd Bronco since the C4 is going into the Bronco I'm selling =(

Product
Qty
Price
Master kit, C-4 1970-81 combo kit*
26006C
$65.49
Band C4 / C5 Intermediate*
B26022
$12.50
Band C-4 / C-5 rear low / reverse*
N26024
$37.12
Sprag kit, C4 / C5 Spring & roller kit*
A26654K
$8.11
Band NUT, C4 band adjustment nut, 1964-81*
A26922
$4.80
Modulator: C4 / C5 GREEN stripe Push-in 1974-86*
26160G
$19.10
Thrust washer kit, C4 / C5, 1970-86,*
26200C
$29.03
Piston, Rear servo, C4 / C5*
A26912
$19.10
Bellville Spring, C-4 / C-5*
A26974
$4.88
Bushing C4 / C5 case*
$2.67
Filter, C4 Bronco 4wd 1973-77*
A26010D
$5.54
TransGo Shift Kits C4 / C5 73-86*
T26165F
$27.96
Bushing C6 pump body (BRONZE) **
36034B
$4.11
Bushing C4 / C5 Direct drum 70-86*
26046A
$5.10
Washer, C4 / C5, Stator to FWD drum, #4 .091 inch*
26229C
$2.60
Steel, C4, OVERSIZED, Forward / Direct*
26126X
$9.74
Bushing C4 / C5 stator front*
26036A
$1.79
Bushing C4 / C5 stator rear*
$3.14
Pump gears, .597 - .603 (variance) , C-4 / C-5*
A26530
$18.67
Bushing C4 / C5 sun gear*
$3.90
Shipping: UPS Ground 3-5 days Continental U S (No Export Orders):
$0.00
Sales Tax:
$0.00
Total:
$285.35

Action

I will be right behind you with.my c4. The bad shoe dvd seems to be pretty good.....well worth the money I think.
Jack