• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission Lines

shamus

I'm running an AOD in my 74 against a 302 HO. I'm running #4 braided transmission line through 2 trans. coolers. The guy at the race shop I buy my fitting at said that #4 line was to small that I need to be running #6 to keep the cooling flow better. He advised I “might” be OK being I'm running 2 coolers but he suggested #6. at $7.50 a foot.
Can anyone tell me if her was right or will I be OK???

Thanks James

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I would use 3/8"s or 1/2" metal brake line for about a buck a foot! Bling is nice, but is it really needed? IMO racing stuff is way overrated and is usually overkill anyway. Unless your gonna run SCORE...

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm running 3/8" rubber trans hose w/ just regular -6 an push lock fittings.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The factory size tubing was 5/16". -6 is 3/8" and -4 is 1/4". I'd run a combination of the -6 and 5/16" steel tubing. A 1' piece of -6 from the trans to the steel tubing for shock isolation then run the steel down the frame rail. The steel tubing helps with cooling.

Attachments

• Bronco 321.jpg
    Bronco 321.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 63

Broncobowsher

Total hack
-4 is undersized for cooling.

Actual steel line (not braided line) is actually part of the transmission cooling.

Recomend ditching the -4 and going with larger diameter steel trans cooler lines. The braided stuff is not needed and personally not prefered.

OP
OP
S

shamus

Thank you for all your impute, looks like steel line is the way to go, so I guess I'll be changing to steel. (It's much cheaper too)
James.