• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission or Gearing?

Kyle69Bronco

Trying to figure out different options on my 69. I have a 1994 roller mustang 5.0 with the C4 trans sitting on 35's with 4.88 gears. Whats the best options for being able to cruise freeway speeds, lowering the gears or a new transmission? For the time being, its mostly a pavement queen since my daughter will be driving it while shes in high school.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
3.73 gears or break out the bucks for a 4R70W.
I went AOD with an actual pressure gauge, but I am going to install my newly built/modified 4R70W with Baumann controller and lockup converter

Broncobowsher

Total hack
4R70W or 6R80 would be the best choices. Gearing that would be better for highway cruising will eat away at fun to drive in town. The C4 just doesn't have enough gear spread. The Bronco has too much drag for the C4 to run at low RPM without slipping the convertor too much and creating too much heat.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you have 4.88s and you want lower?
Lower numerically. Higher gear ratio for better cruising on the highway.
Always good to point that out. So to the OP, “lower” actually means the opposite of what you are asking.
So always think of it like this. Lower gearing is lower speed. Higher gearing is higher speed.

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Whats the best options for being able to cruise freeway speeds, ...... its mostly a pavement queen since my daughter will be driving it while shes in high school.
A Nissan Versa Maybe? Airbags, 40mpg, will do 80......ish All the mods being discussed will set you back about what a versa will.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
This might be off-topic a little, but you need to make sure your front suspension and steering are squared away before you turn a teenager loose with it. Odds are she's never experienced death wobble, and if the first time she experiences it is on the interstate it very well could be a "death wobble." Not trying to offend, but I'd hate to hear about something going terribly wrong.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This might be off-topic a little, but you need to make sure your front suspension and steering are squared away before you turn a teenager loose with it. Odds are she's never experienced death wobble, and if the first time she experiences it is on the interstate it very well could be a "death wobble." Not trying to offend, but I'd hate to hear about something going terribly wrong.
Get your child a Honda element for first car. Kind of like a Bronco, but no power to get into trouble with. If your worried about any car you put your kid in, take it to a professional shop for inspection.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
This might be off-topic a little, but you need to make sure your front suspension and steering are squared away before you turn a teenager loose with it.
Brakes too.

Lifted, on 35's with such a short wheel base mixed with high school driver I think I would leave the gearing as is as a speed governor. That's just me though....