• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission problems?

Jano723

Loc.
East Los angeles
Dam!! I really hope my transmission isn't gonna need to be rebuild. I got my 69 bronco back to life after sitting for 6 years but when I put it into drive it goes forward but as I try to accelerate the engine just revs up. What you guys think?

Sabas

have you checked the trans fluid??? make sure to check it after the trans has warmed up.

OP
OP
Jano723

Jano723

Loc.
East Los angeles
transmission problem?

i did check it.. it was really low so i added about 7 quarts, what i did notice was before i put any fluid it wouldnt even move. when i added the first 5 quarts thats when it moved but no acceleration power.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
WOW, 7 quarts low?? any leaks? did you not check the fluid in the 6 years?

Is it a C4? I would think you might need to adjust the bands, but with that much fluid missing I would at least take the pan off and see if there is any residue of parts in there.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It must have been really low. It only holds about 10 qts. What was the reason it was sitting for 6 years?

OP
OP
Jano723

Jano723

Loc.
East Los angeles
my younger brother had the transmission changed to an automatic and about that time had a kid and ended up buying a new tahoe so it was ust sitting. i changed spark plugs, new fuel pump, new air filter chenged bad fuel lines and got it started but got stuck on this problem. fml!!

OP
OP
Jano723

Jano723

Loc.
East Los angeles
Gave in!!!

I decided to take the blue demon to transmission shop and mechanic said they gonna look at it but thinks might have broken gear or a bad governor? what you guys think? Could he be right? I asked how much will it cost to fix governor and bad gear if there is one and said $250.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Not bad for dropping the trans and fixing a gear and the governor. you might want to get new bands and clutches while in there, unless they look good.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I decided to take the blue demon to transmission shop and mechanic said they gonna look at it but thinks might have broken gear or a bad governor? what you guys think? Could he be right? I asked how much will it cost to fix governor and bad gear if there is one and said $250.

Broken gear or bad governor? It already sounds sketchy. Well there aren't many gears in a C4 and I can't think of one that would cause your problem. The governor won't cause it either. I suspect your forward clutch isn't working. Band adjustments won't help.

I recommend a pressure test to make sure the pump is fine and some air tests on the forward clutch. If it's bad you're looking at a rebuild.

OP
OP
Jano723

Jano723

Loc.
East Los angeles
I really hope not... What I don't understand is if the automatic tranny they put in 6 yrs ago was new or already rebuild and was never driven till this day ...could it still be bad or need a rebuild?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I really hope not... What I don't understand is if the automatic tranny they put in 6 yrs ago was new or already rebuild and was never driven till this day ...could it still be bad or need a rebuild?

If it was never driven how do you know it was working. If it was only driven a little, maybe this is the reason why.

OP
OP
Jano723

Jano723

Loc.
East Los angeles
That makes sense....I guess I just assumed when they put it in it was good. Well....I guess I will find out the verdict tomorrow.