• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission repair advise please

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got my '68 to the point where it is actually fun to drive, with one exception.
Shifting gears looks like it would be fun with the Hurst floor shift. It's not, and I suppose the 3 speed trans needs synchros at the least.

Looking for your advice. Considering cost of repair as well as fun factor, would you have the 3 speed freshened up? Or swap it out for another trans? I have 4 toploader 4 speeds sitting here. I could swap for one of those or buy a 5 speed or?

By the way this is just a street driven '68 that already had a body lift and 35's on it when I bought it.

Thanks for advise!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
trans advise picture

Here is what I'm working on -

Attachments

• 20462de296f3828c-photo.jpg
    20462de296f3828c-photo.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 46

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, you may need new synchros and a tranny rebuild, but the trouble you are having could also be a bad clutch, out of adjustment clutch, or the shifter linkage installed wrong, or out of adjustment. My Duff (Hurst) shifter needs a good spray with WD 40 every now and then to keep it smooth, or else it starts to bind. Good luck

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks B RON CO. I got under there and adjusted the Hurst (where you put trans in neutral and adjust so a small drill bit passes through) and also sprayed with WD-40. Still a little hard to shift into gears, and I think it's popped out of 2nd before. I believe to use one of these Mustang toploaders, I'd have to modify it to use in a Bronco. And I'd say going to a 5 speed would probably run into a lot more money. So maybe smart move is just to have a properly working 3 speed trans!?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Sticking synchros is not an uncommon problem. What grade of fluid are you running? My 3 speed with floor shifter shifts like butter most of the time. It is harder to shift when it is a little low on fluid. I run the recommended 50 wt. motor oil in it. Downshifting is always a little firmer of a shift though, that's likely just due to the design of the transmission.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, so if you think the linkage is ok why don't you change the fluid. If the synchros are shot your fluid will be full of tiny brass particles, which are easy to see floating in the drain pan, unless a PO changed the fluid. I would use a 90 weight rear end fluid. I am not a tranny expert, but usually bad synchros means a lot of grinding when you go through the gears. Is that what you have? Where does the clutch grab, top, middle, or near the floor? Good luck

jcasey12

My 70 with original 3 speed and hurst on the floor shifts very smoothly and always has for the 25 + yrs I've had it. Early on in my ownership I did replace the shift rod bushings to tighten things up, but that's it...I run 80-90 weight. I guess my point is that properly adjusted linkage, the original set ups can be very smooth.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Sticking synchros is not an uncommon problem. What grade of fluid are you running? My 3 speed with floor shifter shifts like butter most of the time. It is harder to shift when it is a little low on fluid. I run the recommended 50 wt. motor oil in it. Downshifting is always a little firmer of a shift though, that's likely just due to the design of the transmission.

I don't think Ford ever recommended SAE 50 in their three speed tranny. SAE 50 is recommended in the transfer case though.

OP
OP
ared77

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys, I'll try some new 90 weight in it next just to see what happens.

Clutch engages about where it should, half way.