• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TRE based TRO on a 77

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Howdy guys,

As we learned a few things specific to 76/77 model Bronco, I thought I would share results of my TieRod Over conversion using Roughstuff TieRod End components in combination with knuckles off of a 78/79 Bronco.

The tie rod attachment points on the 78/79 knuckle are about 1" lower than the stock knuckles used on 76/77 Broncos. So in theory, the 76/77 knuckles would be better in terms of achieving maximum trail clearance for steering linkage.

Unfortunately, the attachment points on 76/77 are about 1" closer to the wheels preventing use of any of the heavier duty steering linkage components available which is why I elected to use the 78/79 knuckles.

On to the good stuff, since the 76/77 Bronco came stock with a longer track bar bracket, you don't have to use a drop pitman arm or an axle riser bracket to achieve nearly perfect geometry between trac bar and drag link. Mine ended up being within 1 degree of each other.

I will post pics later when it gets lighter out.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Subscribed! Yes pics please, I want to use this set-up as well on my 77 build.

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
Thanks Rox! I bought the same set up for my '76 but I have yet to attempt the conversion. I want to go TRO with the new set up and I"ve been worried about the clearance issues. Post some pics.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Aside from spelling errors his signature is correct.

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Another interesting detail is that the attachment point on the 76/77 knuckle is 1/8" thicker than the 78/79 knuckle.

This made it difficult for another guy we know, who retained the 76/77 knuckles because he has narrow wheels (stock), to get enough engagement on the tie rod threads to use the cotter pin hole. He had to drill a new hole.

Bronc937

I did the Extreme Custom Fabrication kit which I think is the same as ruff stuff, on my '77 luber frame off. After installing it I found that I had to use rims with no more than 3.5" of backspace or they would rub on the tie rod ends.

I will probably switch to 79' f150 knuckles and go TRO in order to keep the ground clearance and be able to go with more backspace.
dybyhu2e.jpg
e9udapuh.jpg

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Finally, some pics for your veiwing pleasure

Attachments

• TRO 1.jpg
    TRO 1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 69
  • TRO 2.jpg
    TRO 2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 62
  • TRO 3.jpg
    TRO 3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 70
  • TRO 4.jpg
    TRO 4.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 65
  • TRO 5.jpg
    TRO 5.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 66
  • TRO 6.jpg
    TRO 6.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 62

andybgood

Loc.
Overland Park
Looks great! Did you have to change your brakes or anything else? Or was it just the knuckles? Can you give a link to the kit? I'm going to be building mine up in a few months and this sounds like a great option for my 76. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
78/79 knuckles are interchangable, no changes necessary other than the tie rod connection points to whatever linkage you use

The Ruff Stuff components are just that, you buy the components @ http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/STEER.html

and get your own DOM tubing and cut it to length.

Some of the vendors (including Ruff Stuff) sell custom kits if you have a standard configuration or can give them dimensions to work with

OP
OP
Rox Crusher

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
That's too funny. The link is bad also, because if the error.

What's even funnier is that I looked at every word in my signature trying to find the spelling mistake but couldn't see any. I thought ol Viper was just giving me the business again !

andybgood

Loc.
Overland Park
78/79 knuckles are interchangable, no changes necessary other than the tie rod connection points to whatever linkage you use

The Ruff Stuff components are just that, you buy the components @ http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/STEER.html

and get your own DOM tubing and cut it to length.

Some of the vendors (including Ruff Stuff) sell custom kits if you have a standard configuration or can give them dimensions to work with

Thanks for the info.