• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Troubleshooting brake warning lights

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
My warning lights do not appear to be functioning. The distrib block is brand new and the two wires running off it seem to be in good condition. Where do they route after the distrib block? I need to check for an open, or at least that seems like my first step. Wiring diagram anyone?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
They run to the light and the igintion switch. check viperwolf's galler I believe he has a wiring diagram. or there are wiring diagrams in the links section.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ignition switch provides 12V to the bulb. Bulb gets current (and lights) when ignition switch is in START or when imbalance switch is off center and grounded.

Attachments

• brake imbalance.jpg
    brake imbalance.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
Ignition switch provides 12V to the bulb. Bulb gets current (and lights) when ignition switch is in START or when imbalance switch is off center and grounded.

My bronco did not come with a brake warning lamp, can that be bypassed by crossing wires behind the dash. Seems like a pretty dumb invention to me in the first place to be honest.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
My bronco did not come with a brake warning lamp, can that be bypassed by crossing wires behind the dash. Seems like a pretty dumb invention to me in the first place to be honest.

If you just want to get rid of the rest of it eliminate or terminate the red-yellow wire. Don't cross any wires because the bulb is (would be) the only resistance in the circuit.

The idea was born out of the new federal safety regulations in 1967. Prior to these regulations you could buy a new, 3500lb, 130 mph car that had four 9" drum brakes and a single reservoir master cylinder. Now that was dumb.

fuzzy2133

Loc.
San Jose, CA
If you just want to get rid of the rest of it eliminate or terminate the red-yellow wire. Don't cross any wires because the bulb is (would be) the only resistance in the circuit.

The idea was born out of the new federal safety regulations in 1967. Prior to these regulations you could buy a new, 3500lb, 130 mph car that had four 9" drum brakes and a single reservoir master cylinder. Now that was dumb.

And the split brake system is born.

If all the parts are there it is definitely a good idea to get it working cause it might give you enough advanced warning so you don't take out that school bus of kids...