• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trying to become like the big dogs. Please Help!!!

method9

Loc.
Logan
Hey fellow Bronco enthusiasts,

Could somebody either post a link with lift instructions that has been previously posted or could somebody just give me heads up as to what procedure I would want to follow to install my 3 and 1/2 CAGE lift.

Also is it necessary to get a spring coil compressor in order to put my new springs up front or can you install them easily without the compressor tool.

Thanks in advance for your help.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
No coil compressor needed. When you buy the Cage system it will come with directions. The Bronco is about the easiest rig to work on. You will need jack stands or a way to hold up the front end of the frame so the axle can drop. As you look at it you will see 2 lower bolts holding the coil in. Its not east to get a wrench in there but doable. Only 2 bolts up top (one on top other in front). Push the axle down and the coil comes out. If the shock limits travel you will need to detach it. If you're lifting higher you will need longer shocks anyway so take em off. If you are going higher you'll need new c-bushings. Take off the 4 bolts so you can replace the c-bushings. Pull the trac bar off so you can pull the axle forwards a bit. Your driveline will have to come off to acomplish this. Once you add the new c-bushings tighten the 4 bolts in an X pattern going from one arm to the other with the radius arms touching the ground. If you see an arm start to lift loosen a bit and go to the other side. Keep them equal otherwise you will get the Bronco lean problem. Then slide the axle back and align the radius arms back into the frame mounts. Might take your legs to align then and push the axle into position. Grab your bumper and leg press her into place. Reinstall everything. Its a 1/2 day job if you've never done it before.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
First step: Go get a good set of Jackstands that are very sturdy and that have sufficient height to keep the Bronco up in the air. Or alternatively a Cherry Picker can be used but you need to be sure you use a good quality chain and run it to the frame unless you have a bumper that you know will support it. The stock one will not. I've seen the stock bumper rip apart at the bolts and it was only due to fast thinking that the entire frontend of the EB didn't fall to the ground. (I was close when it started to tear out and was able to get another chain on before it cut loose) You should still have jackstands or other blocking underneath as a safety measure in case the cherry picker fails.

At any rate amost the entire time putting the lift on you will be underneath with the Bronco supported in some manner above you so be sure it is safe.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't get in too big of a hurry...take your time. Every so often take a break and look over what you have done to make sure you haven't forgotten or missed anything.

Good Luck.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
as a safety thought, I put the tires I take off one on top of the other under the rig. But out of the way (under the tranny or t case)that way if it falls off the jack stands you have back up.