• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

trying to do a harness update

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
using an older manual transmission dash harness, looking to incorporate the C4 transmission plug at the firewall. Have y 73 harness and was going to use that. Red/blue to ignition and black/red to reverse sound right? All the schematics I see show manual trans wiring.....sorry! Wiring is my nemesis!!!

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. And no...;)
They are both related to the now-present Neutral Safety Switch.
The NSS interrupts both the Red w/blue "S" wire to the starter relay, and the Black w/red wires to the backup lamps. With your original manual trans, those duties were separated to a single column mounted switch for the backup lamps, and nothing interrupting the signal to the starter relay.

It's a square-shaped 4-wire connector that you can see the shape of by looking at the other end of your NSS switch.
You do have a Bronco C4 with the switch on the side. Correct?
If you end up not having a good time with the stock harnesses playing nice together, you can change the NSS connector to a more "universal" aftermarket GM Weatherpack connector and then put the other wires in a matching connector on the body side.

Paul

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
think I have it figured out....thanks Paul!

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
CAN SOMEONE please tell me the wiring for the neutral safety switch, harness side? it must make a difference which one goes to which....i know red/ blue stripe is for ignition and black/red is for reverse. I had them marked but cut the excess off to attach to "new harness" and never moved the markings! have a male and female of each color to work with and would like to only have to do this once...thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It doesn’t matter at all.
One is in, and one is out. The 12 V comes in on one from the ignition switch, to the neutral safety switch, and goes out on the other. When the neutral safety switch closes the contact, power flows through.
Same for both Backup and START.

If you’re using your own new connectors, then they are all usually protected. With the old style connectors, there was usually at least one, if not two that were “keyed“ so that you could only plug the connector together one way.
In those cases, the power-in from the chassis side was always a female contact so that you were less likely to short it out on something if the connections were separated.

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
That's what I kind of thought but wanted to make sure....thanks Paul!!

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
question? I have my "new" dash harness pretty much sorted out except for two plugs.....a blue bullet and a very heavy black bullet connector.....thoughts?
1725682382420.png

View attachment 930941

Tasker,
I copied this from the "what have you done to your Bronco today" thread.

Blue bullet connector went to an emission control solenoid on carburator (anti diesel).
1725682482567.png

Heavy black bullet is probably the feed from battery post on starter relay.
There should be a Black/Yellow stripe wire that feeds thru loop on back of ammeter and plugs into it.
Other end of black/yellow wire goes to splice, connected to alternator & fuse box.
I stole these images from https://seabiscuit68.tripod.com/
I used 72 version, because colors seem to agree with what you have.

1725682979473.png 1725683033897.png

1725683582111.png

Attachments

• 1725682259983.png
    1725682259983.png
    960.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Pretty much done....with this anyway. Thanks for all the help! 20240909_120941.jpg

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
While harness is on workbench, pull the fuses and clean the rust off contacts in fuse box.
You don't want to try cleaning them after it is bolted to firewall (especially if you wear bifocals, like me).

1725931767604.png