• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tube Benders

bax

Contributor
Old Member
what do you guys think about the jd model 32. Is it worth the hundred buck or the jd 2 is good enough??:?

JD 32 has different dies than the JD2. If you have no dies then the 32 is a good option. However if you already have a 2 and want to upgrade the 32 is not a good option unless you want to buy new dies.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
I've got the pro tools 200 - you can convert to air over hydraulics. Was about $375 for the bender and 1 die set. Works good.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I also have a JD 2 I am always looking for more dies. Bender is a good one. It's easy to use and not to hard to duplicate bends. I wish I could of afforded the hyd option.

Now I know where I will be fabricating my cage;D

Durtymax

Here is what I just picked up over the weekend. So stoked, I love it!
bender.jpg
[/IMG]

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I have used the TN-100 Notcher ($215) and i think if you are not machine savvy it is a good unit. The main thing is to use the HIGHEST quality hole saws you can find and use lots of cutting oil (be sure to clean the cutting oil before welding...don't ask).

If you have a decent drill press and a halfway decent machinist vice you can do the same thing.

My dad acquired a Bridgeport mill, so I am now buying end mills for notching tubing.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I'm running a JMR1000 electric/hydraulic bender and love it. Used to have a Pro-tools, but after breaking a die I sold it. There is a significant difference in the JD2 and JMR dies.

2nd, go for the air or electric option. I hated having the bender bolted to the floor all the time and if you remove it you've got the lag bolts sticking up through the floor. With the air/electric you can roll the machine away when you're not using. If you have all kinds of extra space, you don't need that (and can I keep some stuff there?).

Take a look in the vendor section of Pirate, they always have deals going. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
HTH, Joe

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I have the plans from gottrikes and was going to build one but then I found a vendor local that had the JD2 with dies and he would sell them to me at the web price. I had to get them and it had already paid for itself with all the pick-up truck racks that I've built for customers.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
what dies are used mostly? I found a used jd2 with dies 5/8", 7/8", and 2". He wants 200 and it has all the parts do you think its worth it or would you guys prefer to buy a new one???

bax

Contributor
Old Member
what dies are used mostly? I found a used jd2 with dies 5/8", 7/8", and 2". He wants 200 and it has all the parts do you think its worth it or would you guys prefer to buy a new one???

The 2'' die is worth more than 200.00 The older ones work just as good as the new one.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI

I would buy it as long as the pins are not too sloppy. Good Deal.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
what dies do most of you guys used and i need a tube die for roll cages right??:? Im new to tube benders so help would be great. Thanks

ITOWU2

Loc.
close to Billings
$200 would be a good deal. 2" tube is what most cages are made out of. you can use the smaller dies for oh sh!t handles or light guards.
Wes

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I agree, 2'' and 1 3/4'' dies are used the most for cage work.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone ever use a Greenlee triple nickle for bending a cage ?
Do they make the right dies?
Are the dies different from rigid conduit bending dies ? ( it looks to me like they bend sharper radii than conduit benders.)
Reason I ask , as an electrician , I have access to 555's and other various greenlee bending products.
Looks like I have some research to do ...