• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turn Signal Help

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I am beyond frustrated and need some smarter brains to see what I must be overlooking.

I have an early 1973.
OEM Auto column,
OEM Hazard switch on dash.
Centech harness I installed in 1997.
Column harness and dash harness do NOT connect via a connector and wires are connected individually.

All lights were working and have for 20 years.
I removed steering column to change dash and decided to replace the turn signal harness.
I was very careful to rewire it identically, but some of the new harness wires did not match the 73 OEM wires.
When the dash, column, etc. were all back in, I checked, and all lights worked like they should.
I recall checking each mode of lighting (turn signals, brakes, marker lights, hazards, headlights, etc.)
I am now questioning my sanity a bit, but I am really sure I checked everything, before I decided to switch to LED.

So, I got a full vendor kit to go all LED, inside and out.
Front and side and rear markers worker.
Headlights I did separate, but they work fine.
Reverse lights and brake lights work.

The Centech has 2 flasher modules. I used two LED rated flashers and no turn signals or hazards.
The I realized polarity is reversed in both connectors so I got different flashers with polarity reversing adapters...
4-way hazards now work 100% (to include dash indicators).

HERE IS CRAZY PART: If I put lever in left turn mode, both front lights blink and the right rear blinks and the left rear is OFF.
If I turn to right turn mode, again both front signals blink, the left rear blinks and the right rear is OFF.
The dash indicator shows both sides blinking like when in 4-way.
If I reverse the polarity, it goes back to none of the blinkers turn on or blink.
So thinking it was the LEDs, I swapped all four bulbs back to regular filament bulbs as a test...and the EXACT SAME issues are still present as the LED bulbs.
That makes zero sense to me.
I need a 2nd set of brains on this, because mine is frazzled after messing with this for 2weeks+
I hope it is something so simple that I don't see it.
Sorry, about the long post, I am just trying to be detailed.
Thanks fellas

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Turn off or unplug the hazard switch and see what happens.

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
Check dash to firewall
Ground. When I did my painless harness I had all sorts of issues with turn signals and all the other lights. Was all because of bad grounds.

OP
OP
abn373

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
Check dash to firewall
Ground. When I did my painless harness I had all sorts of issues with turn signals and all the other lights. Was all because of bad grounds.
The ground should be solid, I have both of the flasher modules grounded to a grounding bus panel, not to the dash on a bolt...BUT...I do have both flasher module's ground wires spliced together into the same dedicated ground wire running to that block :unsure: That would seem strange to cause the issue, but maybe?