• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Twin stick but now 4 low

BroncoBoy69

Loc.
Nome Alaska
Hey guys well i put a twin stick transfer case shift in and loved if for the first few weeks then all the sudden. it will go into 2 hi 4 hi but not 4 low. im worken with a 69 so its the t shift. what happens when i try to go into 4 low the rear is in low and then try to push the front in and its just like theres somthing blocking it. it just wont go i tired doing it when your rolling moving still every thing hope some one has some ideas thanks guys

Corby

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Is the linkage binding on something?
Did it go into 4Lo before?
Wiggle the rear shifter a little while moving the front one into place, maybe one of the pills is hangng up?

Broncorm

Loc.
Perkinsville, VT
I had the same thing happen. Opened up the T-case play with things in there. Started working again for a little while and now won't go into 4 low again.
Haven't had the time to look at it.

OP
OP
B

BroncoBoy69

Loc.
Nome Alaska
Man that sucks i really dont wanna have to drop my case and mess around with it then have nothing work lol. that would be my luck. umm i herd that you can take those pills out so that you can shift into front or rear independntly. you think that would fix my prob and if so wear do i start looken for to get the pills out thanks guys

Broncorm

Loc.
Perkinsville, VT
That was my luck. Was working ok when I got the t-case on the bench. Put it back in was working did not use 4 low for a few month went to use it and would not go in. I've thought about removing the pills but just don't want to pull it back out.
I'm hoping someone out there knew the fix with out pulling the t-case??

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am assuming that you have the hubs locked and the front drive shaft turning.

Either something is in the way of your shifter's movement, the gears are not meshing (one has to move so they can line up) or the shift fork is sliding on the shift rail inside.

I take my front in and out of engagement in H or L while moving as long as I dont have a load on it.

Jeff in AZ

honkey84

Loc.
ILL
I have the same thing going on right now with my truck. Both are pretty stiff to engage. I will be rebuilding the T-Case here any way, but still pisses you off.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I highly recommend a new set of gears, tera-lows or something if you are going to take it all the way down. I can't beleive how smooth the shift is. I can't get the gear to grind if I try. It's weird.

I'm going to rank the twin sticks right up there with the hood shocks in my favorite cool modifiactions.

The tera lows are much better at keeping my head from hitting the roll cage on bumps too. I don't have to ride the brake at idle speeds hardly at all like I did with the stock gears.

Jeff in AZ

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
ok to twin stick the tcase you had to remove those pins...did you do that yourself? I rebuilt my own t-case and had the end play set by a tranny shop and i was just starting to get some problems before I went wheeling...afterwards it would not go into gear cause the entire output shaft wiggles...get under the truck and push up and down on the front drive shaft if it wiggles A LOT then most likely one of your bearings inside is gone...thats the problem with mine right now and I am going to San Angelo to have West Texas Off Road rebuild it for me