• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

twin stick install D-20

74bronk

I was interested in installing a twin stick shifter on my transfercase (J- shift type dana -20) On a certain bronco sight it says some modification required. Could some one explain exacly what needs to be done before I jump into this one.

Tom in LVNV

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
it's simple on a J shift. all you have to do is trim the flags on the shift rails so they no longer overlap. no internal mods are required.

gidieupp

Loc.
NYC
What is a flag? What is the difference between a J shift and a T shift? (How can I tell)

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
When you look at it, you'll understand, just unbolt the old shifter (it can be done without cutting anything, and from in the cab if you have small hands). The 'finger' on the bottom of the stock shifter slides between the two flags. All that you're doing is allowing them to shift independently. I cut out my tunnel to do the mod, just to make life easier. I'm not ambitious enough to pull the case to cut the flags. My only regret in all of this is that I waited so long to do the twinsticks, they are AWESOME!

Newby

Loc.
Thorndale
I've been debateing doing this kit as well, but mine is on a T-shift. I'm not real familure with the setup. Is it like a real twin stick (let you shift your front and rear axle from high to low independantly) or is it just there to make shifting from low to high easier. Been debating it, just want to know some facts.

Oh, and sorry to have stollen the thread, but I was just about to post the same thing when I read this.

braxton357

Loc.
morganton NC
... Both t and j shift cases can be easily turned into independant twin stick cases like you describe. T shift cases just involve more work, and you have to take some things apart rather than just cutting. Again though, the modifications have been covered quite literally hundreds of times.

g-money

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Any body have any idea how long the handles are on the twin stick kits. from some of those pictures it looks like they may hit my dash.

Thanks
Galen

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
I got my twin stick from Tom's. It clears the dash easily. Cutting the flags on the shift rails is easy with a small cutoff wheel. You will also have to open up the hole in the tunnel a little, but that is easily done with a saber saw. With the stock J sifter I had a real tough time getting out of four-wheel-low. The twin stick has totally solved the problem.