• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

JB Fab Twin Stick Install on Dana 20-J

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Can you do the twin stick conversion with the transfer case still in the vehicle? I'm sure its a dumb question but this is on my bucket list to do this year.

check thread 14
the case is in the truck, it is not hard, though I have a 2" BL which makes it a lot easier

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Hi,

Can anyone suggest how I get the boot off the T-case? Mine is a '77 J shift. Everything else has gone pretty good but I can't see around the boot and I've hit a wall. Aside from cutting a big access panel is there any way around it? If not no big deal, having an access isn't a bad idea. Thanks.

photos would help, is there a rubber lip that may have machine screws underneath

OldBarnBronco

Sorry, I can see I need more detail. The boot I'm referring to is not the accordion thing on the shift lever that you can see in the cab. This boot is literally on the T-case. It covers the part of shift rails and lower part of the shifter that they connect to. IIRC you can see the bottom of this boot between the frame rail and T-case. The factory manuals also show this boot but I don't remember seeing anywhere on how to take this thing off. Sorry I don't have the ability to add pics right now. Thanks again for any help.

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Sorry, I can see I need more detail. The boot I'm referring to is not the accordion thing on the shift lever that you can see in the cab. This boot is literally on the T-case. It covers the part of shift rails and lower part of the shifter that they connect to. IIRC you can see the bottom of this boot between the frame rail and T-case. The factory manuals also show this boot but I don't remember seeing anywhere on how to take this thing off. Sorry I don't have the ability to add pics right now. Thanks again for any help.

can you email me a photo and I will post it

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Need Help Guru's

Hi,

Can anyone suggest how I get the boot off the T-case? Mine is a '77 J shift. Everything else has gone pretty good but I can't see around the boot and I've hit a wall. Aside from cutting a big access panel is there any way around it? If not no big deal, having an access isn't a bad idea. Thanks.

I am posting this for oldbarnbronco
I myself have not seen a boot like this, mine is 77 and did not have one
nice truck by the way

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 112
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 193

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think I've only seen one of those still installed. My guess is remove the hose clamp and the shifter and the boot pulls off the tcase.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same here. Only ever seen one or two, but never on anything I was working on, so no technical help info from this end.

Post up more info and pics if you can when you do get it dialed in OldBarn

Thanks

Paul

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
That boot just pulls off the transfer case. I did not reinstall mine when I installed my twin sticks.

OldBarnBronco

Well I finally got the JB Fab twin stick in a couple weeks ago. Its been nice to have it in. Shifting out the front though has not been as easy as I'd hoped. I'm still happy with it though. Here are a couple pics of the boot.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 193
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 183
OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada
Well I finally got the JB Fab twin stick in a couple weeks ago. Its been nice to have it in. Shifting out the front though has not been as easy as I'd hoped. I'm still happy with it though. Here are a couple pics of the boot.

to bad you had to cut it open
post some photos of the final product
cheers

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
I also have a JB twin stick for a J shift that I want to install in my 75 that also has the boot on top of the case. Is it possible to install the shifters and cut the flags while the case is still in the Bronco without a body lift and without cutting an access panel? Thanks

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
I also have a JB twin stick for a J shift that I want to install in my 75 that also has the boot on top of the case. Is it possible to install the shifters and cut the flags while the case is still in the Bronco without a body lift and without cutting an access panel? Thanks

Has anyone been able to do this?

OP
OP
skerrybronco

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada

I thought I seen a thread on doing this when researching this,
Maybe with two people to instal one under and one in the cab, for cutting the flags, you may be able to fit a small die grinder with a small cutting wheel disc,
get the boot off in the cab and have a look
good luck
there should be some others that have been down this road, hopefully they chime in

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only person I know of personally that did it on the vehicle had both a body lift and an access panel.

Paul

brandenpro

Loc.
Salem, OR
Put the boot on today. Didn't want to see the plate so I self tapped the plate and left the screws loose. Then wrapped the boot over the plate, made small incision so I could poke a screw driver through and then tightened the plate down. Can't even see the cut.
ba5ac468cac33dfc8cecf2d2fba82211.jpg

spray1963

Loc.
Boca Raton,FL
Np 435

I getting to the point of putting the drivetrain back in the Bronco that my son and I are restoring and want to go with this setup. The question I have is how well does this work with the NP 435 with a gear banger shifter? Are there any clearance issue I need to watch out for between the sticks and the link between the gear banger shifter and the top of the NP 435?

Thanks,
Scott