• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Two EFI Codes I can't explain...Updated

pgilchri

Loc.
Glasgow, MT
I pulled the codes off my 96 explorer engine with Ryan's harness and got a 19 and a 96 off the Continuous Memory that I can't explain. 19 indicates a "cylinder identification CID circuit failure" and 96 is a "fuel pump secondary circuit failure. the EEC did not sense battery voltage on the Fuel Pump Monitor circuit." I am betting that these are directly related to the fact the engine seems to lose power at around 2000 rpm and begins to backfire and wont really rev beyond 3500 rpm. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Cylinder ID failure;
Pull the cap, look at the relucter ring. There should be 8 tabs and windows with 1 of those shaped a little different to ID #1. I have heard of issues with the wrong wheel. Possible to be a 6 cylinder wheel (random spark enough to light the engine but too eratic to run good) or possible a non-SEFI (truck) relucter ring that doesn't have the odd window to ID #1

OP
OP
P

pgilchri

Loc.
Glasgow, MT
Broncobowsher I pulled the cap a few minutes ago and counted 8 windows on the reluctor with one window being just a bit bigger.

I take it this error is related to the distributor? Would this error (#19) cause my timing to not advance properly causing the loss of power and backfiring around 3500 rpm?

-Patrick

mr.n

I pulled the codes off my 96 explorer engine with Ryan's harness and got a 19 and a 96 off the Continuous Memory that I can't explain. 19 indicates a "cylinder identification CID circuit failure" and 96 is a "fuel pump secondary circuit failure. the EEC did not sense battery voltage on the Fuel Pump Monitor circuit." I am betting that these are directly related to the fact the engine seems to lose power at around 2000 rpm and begins to backfire and wont really rev beyond 3500 rpm. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Patrick
if you find any info on the 96 code please post.
I also have that code and the power sucks.

mr.n

if you find any info on the 96 code please post.
I also have that code and the power sucks.
Not sure if the 96 cause this or not, but I'm replacing fuel relays a couple times a year....

OP
OP
P

pgilchri

Loc.
Glasgow, MT
Ok, thought I'd post an update as I found the source of the problem.

First given the fact that when the engine would cut out around 3500 rpm, it sounded just like a rev limiter and given that I had also had a code 19, I made the mistake of going out and buying a brand new MSD distributor and coil, thinking the issue had to lie in the ignition. WRONG!!! The problem continued exactly as it had before.

I did some googling on the subject and found this article:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/DIYEFI/index.php

Turns out that that the purple wire on the RJM harness that I had put to the I terminal on the solenoid had a constant 12v source that prevented the advance of the timing, as it acted as if the engine was cranking the whole time. The other wire on the I terminal from the stock harness (believe it was black) had a constant 12v key switched power source. I don't believe it is supposed to. I thought it went to the stock distributor and was only supposed to be active during start. (If anyone has any incite as to why this wire had a hot 12v I would appreciate it.

I went ahead and switched out the stock solenoid and used a 92 mustang solenoid which has a diode that is supposed to be better for fuel injection. (not sure why on that either.) I just taped off the 12v hot wire that was on the I terminal and ran the purple wire to it as it was supposed to be.

It now runs perfectly. Plenty of power through 5k with the stock explorer cam. WHOO HOOO!!! Hope this helps someone in the future who runs into the same problem.

On a side note I have yet to pull any codes since I got it fixed...thought I would drive it for a while first. So I am not sure if the other code will still be present.

Thanks for all who helped!!!

-Patrick