• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

two quick questions on 9 in reassemble brakes

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
which shoe goes on the front side? are axles the same length, did not notice before i stuck them in, just wanted to make sure if there is a right side, left side or not. thx

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thx i thought one of them looked a bit longer before i stabbed them in. guess they only fit one side. i can never remember which shoe goes on the front.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks, is anyone using the seal on the axle housing between the backing plate and axle. i wanted to put the brakes on the axle this weekend, but dont have the gaskets, guess silicone will work.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
Primary aka the short shoe goes in front.
Secondary aka the long shoe goes in rear.

The park brake will work fine if you can jam all the springs, cable, bar, and adjuster in there.

What will be effected most is braking.
Have you ever noticed that drum brakes don't seem to stop as well when going in reverse as they do going forward?

That is all to do with the position of the shoes.
The secondary shoe does damn near all the "stopping".

Getting them mixed up on the rear axle will effect braking distance and some pull one way or another.
Getting them mixed up on the front axle will effect pulling one way or another.
It will effect braking distance but it is not as noticeable from the ditch %)

Bartonatl

Loc.
Atlanta
thanks, is anyone using the seal on the axle housing between the backing plate and axle. i wanted to put the brakes on the axle this weekend, but dont have the gaskets, guess silicone will work.

What year is your ride?