• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Type F transmission fluid

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
I have searched all over the internet and everywhere else I can and I am wondering what is the best type "F" transmission fluid to use for a 74 C4. I am replacing the filter, the shift lever seal and o-ring. I have it apart right now for the second time to fix leaks and I hope it is fixed and I want to go back with the best fluid I can. Can somebody tell me what would be the best make of fluid to get.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Standard Type F fluid, available from any auto parts stores.

I mean that is what the manufacturer recommends and it got your rig moving all these years, so stick with a good thing.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I personally like Valvoline or NAPA(made by Valvoline), or even Motorcraft branded. That said Type F is a spec so any fluid sold as Type F would have to meet that spec. I would just stick with a well known brand and you should be good to go.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
It is all API certified - I put Oriley brand in my $1300 built C4, works fine. I won't fret when I dump it every year. Oriley price matches Wal-Mart - if they didn't I would be running their fluid. Fluid is fluid -

OP
OP
F

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
I was hoping somebody would chime in on that cause that is whet I put in it to start with. If I needed to change, I would but I was sure hoping that would be ok.
Thanks for the input.

KBUCK1

It is all API certified - I put Oriley brand in my $1300 built C4, works fine. I won't fret when I dump it every year. Oriley price matches Wal-Mart - if they didn't I would be running their fluid. Fluid is fluid -
I agree.
Our oriellys will not price match Walmart. Motor oil is twice the price at oriellys

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> I've used lots of all the regular dino based brands with good results.... however, I've been curious about some of the synthetic type F spec fluids on the market these days from different manufactures.... some are fairly reasonable price wise.... for instance ATI's "super" type F can be bought for under a $100 for a case of 12 quarts..... on same subject you even have guys running John Deer HY-Gard hydraulic fluid & even amsoil compressor fluid in their auto transmissions with good results....

OP
OP
F

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
Is the Wal-mart brand as good as the Oreilly's brand cause if it is, Wal-mart is a lot cheaper where I live. Oreilly's here will not match prices

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
For almost 40 years I have used valvoline and never had issues. It is getting tougher to find on the shelf though.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Is the Wal-mart brand as good as the Oreilly's brand cause if it is, Wal-mart is a lot cheaper where I live. Oreilly's here will not match prices

I do not think you will have an issue... Every Off-brand oil is made by a major manufacturer. O'Reilly's motor oil is made by Standard as an example.

I remember when you could buy a quart of oil for .99 on sale, made by a major manufacturer. I ran Castrol for many years because it could be bought on sale.
Now I run O'Reilly's brand in my older rigs...

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Can somebody tell me what would be the best make of fluid to get.
MotorCraft, of course. Read this page:
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...er+Steering+Fluid&category=Transmission Fluid
Fluid is fluid -
That's like saying, "a truck is a truck." Bronco, Jeep, Suzuki - all the same, right? The Lincoln LS was built on the same platform as the Jaguar S-Type, so they're the same car. %)

Just because something "meets a specification" doesn't mean it's the same as the original. Even if it comes from the same factory - a factory can make one production run for this brand, and a very-different production run for that brand.
Is the Wal-mart brand as good as the Oreilly's brand...
It's probably good enough, but it's certainly not "the best" (as you originally asked). Most systems that use Type F are not so delicate that they'd perform noticeably worse with typical Type F, rather than MC.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
From experience you may meet someone who says use this synthetic stuff it says on the side replaces Type F. DO NOT DO IT. I used Mercon synthetic in place of Type F because it says it replaces type F. It contributed to the early demise of my rebuild. I really liked rebuilding it the second time...

I had to buy Type F in quarts it was the only way to get it.

OP
OP
F

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
I just bought some Napa Type FA transmission fluid. They said the type FA has replaced the TYPE F. I hope they are right because I have never heard of type FA. It was $4.99 qt.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I've used both the FA and the Walmart Supertech stuff with no issues.
Knock on wood.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
From experience you may meet someone who says use this synthetic stuff it says on the side replaces Type F. DO NOT DO IT. I used Mercon synthetic in place of Type F because it says it replaces type F. It contributed to the early demise of my rebuild. I really liked rebuilding it the second time...

>>>on Ford's page, Mercon LV, Mercon SP & Mercon V all say not for use where type F is recommended >>http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-TransmissionFluids.aspx .... the newer type F spec. synthetic fluids on the market these days I'm curious about has nothing to do with the Mercon blends..... a far as type FA goes... says>> It is designed for use where Ford specifications M2C33-F, M2C33-G and Ford Type F fluids are recommended.
•Provides excellent resistance against clutch slippage for extended transmission life
•Provides excellent resistance to fluid oxidation/breakdown at high temperatures
•Approved for 1980 and earlier Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles
•Approved for use in Mazda, Saab, Toyota, Volvo and other Japanese and European vehicles requiring a Type F fluid
•Other applications include air compressors, general purpose hydraulics and power steering systems

September 1972

Type F was for Ford clutches and the friction coefficient therein so I don't think it would make any difference what fluid was used since most parts are made offshore.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Type F was known to be a really good fluid.
I remember hearing my uncles talk about building drag racing powerglides in the 70's but running Type F in them.
From a new build there are no fluid incompatibility issues.
Their concern was always someone not knowing and putting GM fluid in it.

I have not ran synthetic Type F but the main complaint I have about regular Type F is that it expands so much when hot. It can be tough to get your fluid level right.
Perhaps that expansion is part of what makes it good...

I always wondered if the synthetic version of it would expand less or not.

September 1972

Type F has no friction modifier. Friction modifiers can increase or decrease the lubricity of the lubricant. If the clutch plates chatter then more lubricity is required because the plates are sticky.

If the clutch plates slip then then add 75/25 tranny fluid and kerosene might remove the slippery crap on the plates to help them stick, then change and run 90/10.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru

that's the problem I have is trying to find it in a gallon, Type F does seam a little hard to find now days though