• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ultimate Dream Axle – 609 Portal Conversion

Recko555

I have come up with my dream axle and I don’t think there are any out there yet. So I decided to go ahead and name it. 609 Portal Conversion

Pretty much it is a 609 axle (9” center section with Dana 60 outers), but you put these new portal conversions on the end of it. (www.motorsports.axletech.com). These were written about in Peterson’s 4x4. They bolt on to a standard dana 60 kingpin axle.

I would also want a True HI9 thrown in there for fun too. It would be mighty expensive, but whoa, it would be awesome.

Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I'm still working on mine..mog/9....

Your link gets misdirected..
I think this link is the one you want..

http://blogs.4wheeloffroad.com/6306757/4x4-truck-projects/dana-60-bolt-on-portal-axle/index.html

new-axletech-portal-axle.jpg

axletech-international-motorsports.jpg

BlackHorse

And now what you've all been waiting for....the price $10,000:-* Available spring 2012;D

Just kidding. Anyone got the scoop?

OX1

Bronco Guru
And now what you've all been waiting for....the price $10,000:-* Available spring 2012;D

Just kidding. Anyone got the scoop?

I heard $3500 a set (that 2 or one end) and it ads 110 lbs per end (or maybe that was 55 lbs per end or 110lbs total) to a 60 front.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
at least the weight would be at the wheels, I have been toying with the idea of a 609 I wondered how strong it is compared to a normal 60 the removable center section is a big plus. Hey OX was the price listed just for the portals?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Those are cool, but about the 4th try at making 'bolt-on' portal boxes I've seen try to come to market.

I'd rather invest that money in some other part of my buggy, and save the weight.

609's are hell for stout, and I can't imagine a day where I'd want lower than 5.13's at the axles anyhow. ;D

OP
OP
Recko555

Recko555

Supposedly will be available in March of 2009 and for a set of four it is $6500. Doesn't matter if the set is four wheel steer or two.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Call me retarded....I don't get why they are calle PORTALS?? If anyone ever dealt with the old VW buses...they had reduction gear boxes at the outside of their drive axles. We used to remove them to get the bus lowered. Is this not exactly what these PORTALS are? Just reduction gears? Albeit fancy...and they add a little lift to the original axis of the axle, right?
I don't see what all the hoopla is. If you need more gear....get more gear, not a reduction box....hell, you can get a two speed rear...an underdrive trans, a doubler....why spend the crank on this bastard child of an overengineered bandaid?

OX1

Bronco Guru
at least the weight would be at the wheels, I have been toying with the idea of a 609 I wondered how strong it is compared to a normal 60 the removable center section is a big plus. Hey OX was the price listed just for the portals?

It was one of the threads on pirates where the price and weight came up.

Thats 7 grand for portals, 2 grand for ARB's, 500$ for gears, grand for housings, $500 rear shafts, grand for CV front axle shafts (guessing??) 12-13 grand for those 60/9/portals.

Paid $2500 for my disk 406's
$500 for pinion conversions
$1300 for new front inner shafts
$500 to move front diff 5" over to drivers side
$500 for wildwood calipers
$100 to cut 15 inch solid rotors down to 13"ish

4 ton rated-std
6.54 gears-std
air lockers-std
CV front shafts-std

I don't know what a normal 60/9 weighs (let alone a 60/9/portal), but I'm sure it's less than the 710 my front 406 is gonna weigh. ;D To me though, whatever my new rig weighs will seem like a dream, since I'm @ 6400 lbs now :eek:

AxleTech

Agree that this isn't the first attempt at a portal for the 60 but might suggest that this is the first one backed with decent resources and designed using a truly engineered approach.

The 60 (and 609) is a strong axle but we really designed these for people looking for increased ground clearance and the reduced stress on u-joints and axle shafts that comes with the 1.5:1 hub reduction.

We just completed a 100 hour durability test at 3000 ft-lbs input to a single box - lower than our design input torque but pretty stout - with no issues.

One of our customers is already building a set of 609 axles with our portals - Diamond Axle housings, True Hi9 diffs, and Dedenbear outers. He'll be at Moab with his Jeep for EJS 2009.

AIM

OP
OP
Recko555

Recko555

I would definitely like to see some pics of this guy's finished project.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
AxleTech,

Welcome to this site.

Please post up updates and progress of your new product here.. Post pics too..

madgyver

OX1

Bronco Guru
Little lift to the original axis of the axle, right?
I don't see what all the hoopla is. If you need more gear....get more gear, not a reduction box....hell, you can get a two speed rear...an underdrive trans, a doubler....why spend the crank on this bastard child of an overengineered bandaid?

Tell that to my buddy with his 89 bronc on the same size tires (42 IROKS). He has mad flex (compared to me) due to much more susp lift, more overall gear than me (doubler and 5,13's where I have stock drivetrain with the mogs), and about 500 lighter (W vs my 400, lighter body on 89 vs 79, and he has no EXO cage). Plus he is at least a little better driver than I. 90% of the time I own him on the trails.

You could not ask for a much better comparison and we've wheeled together probably 30 times on the hardest stuff Paragon (had) and Rausch has. I have vids of where I have made it and he could not, directly due to the rear diff clearance. There are a multitude of other reasons, but it appears you don't want to know (or already know, but just want to rag on them anyway)........... %)