• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ultimate Dream Axle – 609 Portal Conversion

AxleTech

As Requested

I would definitely like to see some pics of this guy's finished project.

It's been a while and our customer did not make EJS but here is one shot of the completed rear axle - Diamond Axle housing, Hi9 third member, and our portals.

axletech

I'll post more later but this vehicle should be rolling soon. Note that the brake caliper is on the wrong location as these units are still pre-production. Production units have calipers at the 8 o'clock position.

AIM

Last edited:

OX1

Bronco Guru
It's been a while and our customer did not make EJS but here is one shot of the completed rear axle - Diamond Axle housing, Hi9 third member, and our portals.

axletech

I'll post more later but this vehicle should be rolling soon. Note that the brake caliper is on the wrong location as these units are still pre-production. Production units have calipers at the 8 o'clock position.

AIM

Any reports of those calipers. I came to the same conclusion that they are the only thing that will fit with portal boxes and 16.5's. One version has no outer seals on the pistons (comapny claims it's no problem since pistons are stainless) and I was wondering how they might hold up in "our" muddy terrain back east here.

Case

another plus is going to a numerically lower axle ratio, like 3:50 or 3:25 instead of 5:13's, the lower the ratio the stronger the ring and pinion.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
That axle there cost more than 90% of our Broncos are worth but it sure is purdy!!!! I guess when you are building a 100k buggy, 10k per axle isnt too crazy :eek:

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
You guys ever see these? I am not sure of the total cost of what you are talking about, but this seems like a better road to go for that kind of money..

http://www.overkilleng.com/axles/atomicaxles.html

The portal setup gives you more overall clearence. Though the atomic setup is probably much lighter. I think you could probably DIY an atomic setup. My guess is that they just attach CV joints to the each end of the axle to make the connection. You could build something that did that with some DOM and a stubby axle housing.
Tom

AxleTech

You guys ever see these? I am not sure of the total cost of what you are talking about, but this seems like a better road to go for that kind of money..

http://www.overkilleng.com/axles/atomicaxles.html

If you drop the Hi9 carrier, our portals on a similar axle (Diamond Housing with 60 outers) with a reclaimed Ford 9" carrier would have a total axle cost less than $5K.

And as duly noted above, we do expect increased suspension link loading and this vehicle will have the suspension to handle it.

AIM

Last edited:

daves bronco

Loc.
Bonney lake WA
spidertrax makes a 9 inch with 60 ends, no portal thing though. If you go to pirate4x4.com and go to the bottom and click on the 60 degree steering it will come up. It seems like a cool axle, durabile they say. If this is what you were talking about.