• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Unbelievable (our vendors rock)

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So , I sit down to iron out my suspension and maybe order it tonight . I figure I'll need to research Bilsteins for a good long while , but first I'll nail down the basics , so I go to WildHorses site , decide to check out "New products" and Lo and behold !!!!

click it

Custom valved for their spring rates and everything. I'm freaking stunned ... and incredibly pleased.
Major cool points to Wild Horses for this.

Oakland Bronco

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
So , I sit down to iron out my suspension and maybe order it tonight . I figure I'll need to research Bilsteins for a good long while , but first I'll nail down the basics , so I go to WildHorses site , decide to check out "New products" and Lo and behold !!!!

click it

Custom valved for their spring rates and everything. I'm freaking stunned ... and incredibly pleased.
Major cool points to Wild Horses for this.

I'm going to go with this suspension package, too, though the 3.5".

If you haven't heard it already, do note that WH's leaf springs tend to sit on the high side.

I want my Bronco to sit level. I have no hardtop or spare tire carrier, and I am running the stock bumpers. One person recommended getting the 3.5" coils with the 2.5" leaf springs. I spoke with Paul (DirtDonk) about it, and while the above combo would work, Paul recommended buying the 3.5" package and removing a few of the leaves to keep the rig level. That way, if the leaf springs begin to droop over time, I can reinstall one or more of the leaves to bring the rear end back up. This is all just FYI.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the WH 2 1/2" lift. It sits EVER SO SLIGHTLY higher in the rear. I mean, just a hair.

I do have a factory hard top though with stock bumpers.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's ALL good news then , I'll run a hard top in spring and fall , an aftermarket bumper with the spare carrier , back seat , kid , wife etc etc .

I'll have aluminum top end on the 302 based engine also. Aftermarket bumper there also.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Nice. That's what I am installing at the moment. Except I had to piece it all together separately. Looking forward to the ride and handling with the new sway bar too. ;D

Squid

Loc.
San Diego
I am looking to do the same thing 2.5in SL with a 1in BL. When I called and talked with the WH folks they mentioned that I also have the option of doing a 9 way adjustable shock, Ranco 9000 I think. The benefit I was told is that as you remove the top in summer, add bumper and tire carrier etc... You can adjust the shocks to compensate and ial in the perfect ride for your condition.

Thoughts? Ordering mine next week.

Jim

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question.

Rancho 9000 vs. Bilstein 5125's ... any body with that experience out there?

Oakland Bronco

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
Doing a search for "Bilstein Rancho" will bring up a number of threads on this subject. Here are a few:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150836

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175928

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189323

If you want members to respond to your shock inquiry with new info, you may want to start a new thread. I think some members will read your initial post and move on, without seeing your inquiry later in the thread.

Let me know which route you go in regards to your stock choice. I'm still trying to make my decision as well.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'm fairly certain Rancho shocks are made by Monroe (just like most x-brand shocks) I've blown out EVERY pair if Rancho's I've ever had within 6-8 months on my work trucks, several with broken shafts Rancho has never warrantied any of them. Bilstein makes their own shocks and and in close to 10 years I've only blown out 1 and they replaced it no questions asked. The higher end shocks are rebuild able as well. The ride quality frankly doesn't compare!

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Fwiw I have a set of 9000s and a set of 7100s in the garage waiting for the bronco to get back from the paint shop. Seems very few people have actually tried them both and can give an honest unbiased comparison. I'm hoping to change that!