• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

uneven braking with front drum brakes

3.8SC Bronco

Loc.
Elkhart
I'm hoping to take my Bronco to Broncorama next weekend but would like to fix my scary brake problem first. If I'm going much over 40 and hit the brakes hard it darts left and right before finally straightening up to stop. I've adjusted brakes as evenly as possible but hasn't seemed to help. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Bulletman

Brake fluid on shoes or axle gear oil on them can make them grab and pull. Or if one side is worn to the rivets or metal to metal they can grab and pull.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
sounds normal to me :)

i would take all the drums off and make sure everything is there and none of the wheel cylinders are leaking. then i would flush the system completely. i swear when i had 4 wheel drum brakes i had to adjust them every time i drove it to keep it stopping straight.

I'm assuming your radius arm bushings are in good shape?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you checked your steering components and alignment? While it certainly can be just the drum brakes creating unequal brake torque side to side, it will most definitely exacerbate any steering issues you have as well.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Times 5 what everyone said because ALL parts of the braking system must be working properly or several different improperly working parts could cause your symptoms...

THEN you need to tell us how you adjust your drum brakes...not many know how to do it properly... I was raised with drum brakes and they worked fine (but there's a reason I run 4 wheel discs now)