• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

UPDATE: Problems with Lincoln Hydroboost fittings!

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Edit: New problem a few posts down.

Going to napa this week to see about getting lines made for my hydroboost. What lines can I use the hard brakelines on? What ones need to be flexible? Also, any problems with the old Lincoln hydroboost as far as finding fittings that will work?

Last edited:

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
For my setup, I have the astro unit, and I just ordered the original astro power steering hoses. I then used 3/8" union joint to pipe it together... Maybe try ordering the original lines???

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Ok, I did not get the original lines with the unit. The parts stores say they can not get 'new' stock lines, AND noone is able to get me a fitting that has the same threads as the boost unit. They say it appears to be about a 16x1.5 and 18x1.5 metric o-ring type fitting, but they can't get their test fittings to screw into the holes more than a few turns.

I read walker949's article (http://classicbroncos.com/hydroboost.shtml) on his setup and it appears he re-tapped the boost unit to NPT threads and then got new fittings. Is this correct? What fittings would I need then if I do this?

Here is the unit:
pumpandhydroboost008.jpg

heylouie00

I also have a lincoln hydroboost and I couldn't find adapter fittings anywhere...after a lot of searching, I gave up & made some to convert to AN fittings.

Check this thread

Lars turned me on to the speedway motors adapters, but they weren't quite right for my booster

I'm not sure about all of the lincoln units, but the one I have uses o-ring fittings with SAE threads...now converted to AN.

--Craig

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I would try,but I do not have any of the old lines to start with.

Also, I do have a rebuilt unit ('77 lincoln mark IV, I think) coming to the Oreily's by me, I am not planning on buying it, but I want to see if it comes with some adapters or different threads all together than mine.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I doubt I can help here other than give some insight on my experience with Hydroboost lines. Mine is out of a newer Powerstroke and it was hard to get a line for mine to go from the booster to the steering gear. I went to 3 different parts stores looking through the books and making comparisons before I finally gave up. Part of the problem was that they did not even list a line for my unit. I actually had 2 choices on the hydroboost end because it used a stock tubing adapter/elbow. This then went to what appeared to be a stock power steering line. I finally took the adapter/elbow to a local shop that specializes in building high pressure lines for various applications. (Using mostly Aeroquip lines) They cut the adapter off and braised an AN fitting on the end and then supplied the fittings and tubing to go between it and the steering gear. A big plus to this setup is that the fittings are reusable and I picked up enough extra line to build another one on the trail if necessary.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
SaddleUp said:
I doubt I can help here other than give some insight on my experience with Hydroboost lines. Mine is out of a newer Powerstroke and it was hard to get a line for mine to go from the booster to the steering gear. I went to 3 different parts stores looking through the books and making comparisons before I finally gave up. Part of the problem was that they did not even list a line for my unit. I actually had 2 choices on the hydroboost end because it used a stock tubing adapter/elbow. This then went to what appeared to be a stock power steering line. I finally took the adapter/elbow to a local shop that specializes in building high pressure lines for various applications. (Using mostly Aeroquip lines) They cut the adapter off and braised an AN fitting on the end and then supplied the fittings and tubing to go between it and the steering gear. A big plus to this setup is that the fittings are reusable and I picked up enough extra line to build another one on the trail if necessary.

I'd second Saddleup's recommendation and if you have an h-boost with the newer 16/18mm o-ring fittings, get the commonly available AN adapters, re-usable fittings, and bulk high pressure hose and make your hoses yourself. Allows for customization in terms of length and routing and you can change/repair/replace hoses yourself. Plus, they're fun to make!

Todd Z.

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Well, they 'appeared' to be metric, but would only turn in a few turns and then stop so the guys at the shop said that was wrong. They were like, "I don't know what that is", at 3 different places.

Where are you getting the AN fittings and hoses to do it yourself?

Edit: Would it be ok to tap the boost unit to another thread pattern?

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
here is what i did. these were for the astro unit

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62708&highlight=hydroboost

summit had to resend fittings twice as some of the fittings were labeled wrong so double check your order when it comes in. sounds like the threads may be crossed in unit. the fittings are very easy to put on but you need to figure out the angles and test fit a couple of times as the fittings don't swivel like standard an fittings do and the hose will not twist like the braided rubber lines do.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
beyer05 said:
Well, they 'appeared' to be metric, but would only turn in a few turns and then stop so the guys at the shop said that was wrong. They were like, "I don't know what that is", at 3 different places.

Where are you getting the AN fittings and hoses to do it yourself?

Edit: Would it be ok to tap the boost unit to another thread pattern?
Don't count on any of the parts stores (including Napa) knowing what fittings they really are. Find a shop that specializes in building high pressure lines. Preferably one that deals with Aeroquip stuff.
Here are a few listed near you: (Check this link for further searches: http://web.fluidpower.eaton.com/public/distributorlocator/)
HYDRAQUIP-AHC
4130 SOUTH 79TH EAST AVE
TULSA, OK 74145
US
Phone: 918-663-3661

RGA
1751 N Indianawood Ave
Broken Arrow, OK 74012
US
Phone: 918-249-2069

Oklahoma Rubber & Gasket Company Inc
3216 Charles Page Blvd
Tulsa, OK 74127
US
Phone: 918-585-3484

ransil

Bronco Guru
Might help, I went all over trying to get a PS hose made auto parts stores/ hyduralic shops no one could or would do it. Last suggestion was to go to an Auto Air conditioning shop.

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
SaddleUp said:
Don't count on any of the parts stores (including Napa) knowing what fittings they really are. Find a shop that specializes in building high pressure lines. Preferably one that deals with Aeroquip stuff.
Here are a few listed near you: (Check this link for further searches: http://web.fluidpower.eaton.com/public/distributorlocator/)
HYDRAQUIP-AHC
4130 SOUTH 79TH EAST AVE
TULSA, OK 74145
US
Phone: 918-663-3661

RGA
1751 N Indianawood Ave
Broken Arrow, OK 74012
US
Phone: 918-249-2069

Oklahoma Rubber & Gasket Company Inc
3216 Charles Page Blvd
Tulsa, OK 74127
US
Phone: 918-585-3484

Wow, :eek: thanks. I will try these guys ASAP.

Vancopbs

I was sent a PM from another board asking to come here and help out. You're not going to like what I have to say.

First off I build hydroboosts and create installation kits for vehicles. I even supply 2 different Bronco Set ups.

The first problem you're running into is using Lincoln boosters. Is there a reason why this hydroboost was chosen? The problem your running into is no one makes fittings for them. Reason being is they are 5/8 and 11/16th "o'ring" ends. Used only by Ford and only for a few years. There's no money in making a fitting for them. You can't "safely" tap into a hydroboost.

I'd reccomend you use any GMC hydroboost of any 1980+ Vehicle in any future conversions. These are 16 and 18mm "o-ring" ends and several markets supply fittings to convert them into AN6 male. From there any hose maker can make you a set of hoses. There's also the advantage of the bracket being removable by a large nut and a new bracket can be made or remachined. Whereas the lincoln is a set mount and not much can be changed.

I don't check these boards often at this time. I'll try to if you have any other questions. My e-mail is Vancopbs@aol.com and phone is 323-563-1588. Don't be worried about calling, I love helping guys get their rigs going and it won't be turned into a sales call.

Van

heylouie00

Originally posted by Vancopbs
The problem your running into is no one makes fittings for them. Reason being is they are 5/8 and 11/16th "o'ring" ends. Used only by Ford and only for a few years.
This is what I found also...that's why I brazed up an adapter to convert to AN...If I had to do it over I would get a different booster, it works fine, just was a pain to figure out the threads/ports...

Originally Posted by beyer05
Well, they 'appeared' to be metric, but would only turn in a few turns and then stop so the guys at the shop said that was wrong.
The threads on my booster were IIRC 5/8-18 & 11/16-18...compared to the metric versions 16mm x 1.5 & 18 mm x 1.5...

the 5/8-18 is pretty close to the 16mm x 1.5 pitch. The OD of the threads is .625" vs .629" & the threads per inch is 18 vs ~17 threads per inch for the metric & would probably start threading as you described...the 11/16 is just a little farther off & probably would be easier to tell that it wasn't right.

Hope you didn't force them in.

I may be able to dig up a set of lines that I grabbed from the junkyard...If you think that they'd help let me know & I'll see if I can find them.

--Craig

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
heylouie00 said:
This is what I found also...that's why I brazed up an adapter to convert to AN...If I had to do it over I would get a different booster, it works fine, just was a pain to figure out the threads/ports...

The threads on my booster were IIRC 5/8-18 & 11/16-18...compared to the metric versions 16mm x 1.5 & 18 mm x 1.5...

You say that you brazed an adapter to work. But, where did you get the fittings to screw into the 5/8 and 11/16 threads of the hydroboost to braze to the flared fittings?
Then, did you just braze that to a flared fitting that was cut off and just set up against flush?

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
heylouie00 said:
I may be able to dig up a set of lines that I grabbed from the junkyard...If you think that they'd help let me know & I'll see if I can find them.

--Craig

Yes, if you do not need them I would be interested in them. Would a hydro shop be able to take the fitting and re-use it on a new hose?

heylouie00

Originally Posted by beyer05
You say that you brazed an adapter to work. But, where did you get the fittings to screw into the 5/8 and 11/16 threads of the hydroboost to braze to the flared fittings?
Then, did you just braze that to a flared fitting that was cut off and just set up against flush?

I used the 5/8 & 11/16 adapters from Speedway Motors, available here, except that they are for flare fittings. I turned a piece on the lathe that resembled the old fitting that I had & drilled out the adapter to accept the new piece. I then brazed the two together & added the o-ring. What I ended up with was an AN to SAE o-ring fitting that looks essentially like the metric version, but it has the correct SAE threads. If you dont have access to a lathe, I think you may be able to substitute the tube for a bundy fitting used in fuel line applications...like this or this

PM me your e-mail address & If I find the lines, I'll send you some pics. With the correct ends, a competent hose shope should be able to make you a custom set, I just figured for the cost of the adapters & some work, I could convert to AN, in case I ever had hose problems on the trail I wouldn't be stuck looking for a hose shop to repair my custom lines.

--Craig

A&Mbronco

Loc.
Houston,TX
I got a lincoln booster off ebay that came with the old lines and I just had a local hose & gasket shop braze an AN fitting onto the stock ends then used hydrolic hose. Dont know if that helps at all since you dont have the original ends but just thought i'd throw that in.

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I have a couple of suggestions. First if you can get ends that fit, you can have lines made even without having them brazed in. I had to do this because the stock lines for mine were to short. I had lines made by a hydralic shop that have a compression fittings on them all you do is cut the steel tubing and fitting off the end of the line and slide the tube into the compression fitting of the new hose and tighten them down. This allowed me to use the fitting from the hydroboost on one end and the fitting for my steering pump on the other. Same thing with the line that goes to the steering box. As for getting the fittings for your hydroboost, I can probably help you out with that as well. Before I decided to go with a chevy astro hydroboost, I pulled several lincoln mark V hydroboosts. I have sold the boosters that I had but I have a box in the garage with several of the lines and/or fittings from the boosters. You are welcome to them if you will pay for the shipping. Send me a PM if you want them. I'll grab the box and verify what I have tomorrow. Also if you send me your email address, I can send you some photos of the high pressure lines I'm talking about. You can see my setup in my gallery. I have a few engine/hydroboost photos there. I'm not sure if they are close enough to see the lines but like I said send me your email and I'll get you some better photos. By the way, The hydraulic place I went to is actually part of a tractor and heavy equipment shop. If your in farm country, this might be another place to find what your looking for.

OP
OP
B

beyer05

Loc.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Update: I went everywhere and you can NOT but these fittings. Brazing one would have been my best option, BUT my buddy at the auto parts store hooked me up with some of the fittings from a remanufactured unit and they convert it to flared ends. PERFECT!

So now my questions are:
1. Which ports are for the pump line and which one goes to the box?
2. What size line do I need to get?
3. Are AN fittings the 'make yourself' fittings and lines?

Thanks again for all of the help!