• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Update - under tub prep....12-26

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Gang,

Many of you saw her for sale - it didn't happen and I am back!! Here are some recent pics as I prepare to finish up the body and assemble everything..

My plan at this point is to finish tacking the underside, clean, and coat with Al's Liner.

Couple Questions:

1) See the pics where the backside of the rockers are?? This metal is all beat up from where I drilled out the tack welds on the original metal and it seems that water, dirt etc will get behind there eventually and cause rust in the new rockers - is there a trick you guys use such as cut part of them out for drainage and air flow??

2) I am debating coating the underside with degreaser and wiping down - is this a smart route - I would then use the metal ready formula to help etch the metal and rough up with a wire wheel, POR seam seal, and coat in Al's - good plan or not?? I also have a bunch of black POR paint - to save monet should I just coat the underside/engine bay with the POR??

Any advice is appeciative!!

Thanks,
BC

Attachments

• CIMG0447.jpg
    CIMG0447.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 123
  • CIMG0448.jpg
    CIMG0448.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 90
  • CIMG0445.jpg
    CIMG0445.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 145
  • CIMG0442.jpg
    CIMG0442.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 113
  • CIMG0443.jpg
    CIMG0443.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
I had five guys over to help. We lifted it off the frame - no lifting pass the front door posts as the front clip is light. We then sat the rear down on a bunch of padding, lifted the front up until it was vertical and basically flipped it over slowly and caught it - I do have supports that go where the doors are and need to get them back in before I flip it back over for the final time.

JIMS74

Loc.
PORTSMOUTH, VA.
I am doing the same thing. I plan on using the POR-15 self etching primer over the POR-15 coating, prior to spraying with the al's liner. I'm afraid the POR-15 coating is to hard and slick for the liner to stick too.
Jim

TSCoating

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
You can use the POR-15, the Al's will stick to it just fine. You will need to rough it up like you would normal paint, though. POR-15 is tough, but you can still scratch it with sandpaper.

OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Any advice on the metal behind the rockers and if I should avoid using engine degreaser to clean it up - I am assuming the metal etcher will help remove the degreaser - but I do not want to mess up on the prep!!

Thanks

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will be doing this soon as well. Question; What is Als' liner? I was going to use Linex. Thanks, Mark

glass76

prep

Use the POR 15 system. Step 1 Marine clean, step 2 Metal ready, step 3 Por paint. I have used these, they worked great for me.

OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
I wanted to use Line-X but could not afford the $$$ - Al's seems to be getting good reviews, its affordable, they include the gun for minimal additional cost, and I can apply it. I agree the Line-X is probably better - but this is in my budget and I'm in $25,000 so far and just want to hear her run at this point!!!!

OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
I wanted to use Line-X but could not afford the $$$ - Al's seems to be getting good reviews, its affordable, they include the gun for minimal additional cost, and I can apply it. I agree the Line-X is probably better - but this is in my budget and I'm in $25,000 so far and just want to hear her run at this point!!!!

OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
;D Here are the updated pics - I am happy with how the Al's applied - now lets see if it lasts!!!;D

Attachments

• CIMG0568.jpg
    CIMG0568.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 60
  • CIMG0572.jpg
    CIMG0572.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 87
  • CIMG0566.jpg
    CIMG0566.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 90
  • CIMG0563.jpg
    CIMG0563.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 74
  • CIMG0560.jpg
    CIMG0560.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 74
  • CIMG0570.jpg
    CIMG0570.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 68

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
That looks great...

Did you use degreaser? I got fisheye on some axles I did recently with just straight metal ready and no marine clean.

Also, has Al's been tested to work well over POR-15 Metal Ready? I've seen lots of posts about some paints and coatings have a bubble/adhesion problem over Metal Ready treated metal.

OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
We sandblasted the whole underside prior to spraying. I ended up using three gallons!!! I really put it on thick as I do not want any rust to reappear. The pics were after we sprayed two gallons - another 3/4 was rolled and brushed on in the spots the gun couldn't get.

If I were to do again, and what I plan to do, when I do the inside of the tub next is paint and roll all the tough tight spots first and then spray at the end to get the teture.

According to TS Coating the Al's will coat over POR 15 if you rough it up with sandpaper prior.

BC

TSCoating

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Landho, it will coat over POR-15 paint, but I'm not sure about over Metal Ready. I'll call and see, and if they have no answer I have some Metal Ready on the shelf and can test it out.

OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
I sandblasted and then Al's - I used the primer first that came with the kit. I did have POR 15 but opted not to use it. After using the Al's I can tell you that I would recommend doing it without the POR 15 as it coated well and appears to really seal everything up....

Thanks,
BC

OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Also - awesome service from TS Coating!!! Would order from them again in a heartbeat!!!;D

BC