• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upgrade for my ford 9 inch with Trac lock

Readhead

So was out playing today and shredded my spiders in my small bearing 9 inch with Trac lock ... what is my best upgrade I am still running 28 spline axels

Hotrodjohn

I dont know your primary use but the eaton True Trac is supposed to be a good compromise for off and on road and can handle bigger tires, no clutches to wear out, its not a locker though.

Hotrodjohn

no, its helical gear like a Torsen. You can buy one for around 500 ready to bolt in with your gears.

Nothing Special

So was out playing today and shredded my spiders in my small bearing 9 inch with Trac lock ... what is my best upgrade I am still running 28 spline axels

It really depends on what you want. The TrueTrac is a good all-around choice, but if you are planning on rockcrawling a locker of some type might be a better choice. And if you do a lot of slippery sidehill a selectable locker might be best.

Hotrodjohn

Probably a lot of the vendors on here sell it. Otherwise check Summit or Jegs.

OP
OP
R

Readhead

Well I like to play in snow like today but found a hill after the snow I couldn’t resist that’s when it blew lol

OP
OP
R

Readhead

Ok I’m game ... poop is broke now ... time to fix it right lol ... that be why I’m asking lol

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
How much hard use do you put it to?
How much hard use would you like to you put it to?

Hard to give good advice without knowing what you need or want.
Will a little stronger carrier be enough or do you need something that you can beat on like you hate it?

OP
OP
R

Readhead

Well I like to go up hills that I think it should this is the second time I have blown spiders .... blown the 30 twice also just want a little better not rock crawler status ... and thanks for all of the advice ..... do I go open Cartier with a soft locker or go whole hog with 31 spline and is that really Gona help me is that also only two spiders ?

OP
OP
R

Readhead

This is what I did to it

Attachments

• E3021937-C604-45A2-8724-8296BDFA2070.jpg
    E3021937-C604-45A2-8724-8296BDFA2070.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 104

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you want to be over it get a 31 spline arb and axles. You could go 35 spline but I like the idea to get an off the shelf axle in a pinch. I'm sure some will disagree but I find a detroit to be a pita on the road especially if you deal with slick conditions.

OP
OP
R

Readhead

It’s a stock block with a mild cam but it has the 90 Mustang EFI conversion and yes sometimes my right foot gets a little heavy