• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upper Rad Hose Exploded

Okie69

Contributor
Took the Bronco for a little shakedown run yesterday and the upper rad hose failed fantastically. I had antifreeze covering the windshield, coming out the sides of the hood, and even coming in through the rust holes in the floorboard! 😂

The Bronco never got hot and was sitting about 175 when it blew. I immediately noticed the date code on the hose was from 1990! I guess I accidentally grabbed an old hose when I put everything together instead of the new one I know I bought!

So right now I’m assuming it’s just an old hose failing, but wanted to ask y’all if there’s anything else I should look into that could have caused an over-pressurizing.

And pics!
E612BDB5-6A91-4D07-A7D7-A45BF08F6BF0.jpeg
024FAB3A-AE32-4238-9FF9-F8EF30D06273.jpeg

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
1659885670462.png

I would think that something was rubbing against the hose. The wound looks like it started on the outside.

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
View attachment 886629
I would think that something was rubbing against the hose. The wound looks like it started on the outside.
I thought maybe that was the case as well, but I was able to find that missing piece of rubber and it didn’t show any signs of the fan blade hitting it.

OP
OP
Okie69

Okie69

Contributor
The good news is after that small mishap I made it the rest of the 45 miles there and then the 45 back. Trying to get ready for driving it to OCBR which is 334 miles one way.

Taking it to Bailie Bilt next week for the cage that’s the next test.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Congrats on progress so far!!!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
change your radiator cap and test your thermostat while your at it. this should not have happened. unless your coolant level was low and coolant went to steam.